cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D - Mirror Lockup in Camera Connect

hankstamper
Apprentice

OK, I RTFM but I couldn't find the answer on this one.  I assume that when using Camera Connect mirror lockup is irrelevenat because the mirror is already up in Live View?

I'm doing some long exposures with a 400mm lens and the mirror shock plus pressing the shutter button is not good.

TIA,

Hank Stamper

PS; just got the 80D and love it!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

In live-view or remote shooting via Canon Camera Connect app, the mirror will remain up.  When the camera takes a shot, you'll hear the internal curtain shutter doors, but the mirror wont move.  

As I recall it begins the exposure with an electronic shutter (since the mechanical shutter is already open) but it finishes the exposure by closing the mechanical shutter.  It then resets for the next shot and opens the mechanical shutter. 

The vibrations are typically caused by the mirror slap... not by the mechanical curtain shutter. 

If you use a remote shutter release (not the camera app) and enable mirror-lock mode, then you have to press the release button twice to take a shot.  The first press causes the mirror to swing up (then you wait for vibrations to settle) the second press takes the shot with the mechanical shutter.  When the shot is complete the shutter closes and the mirror flips back down (when not in live-view mode).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

In live-view or remote shooting via Canon Camera Connect app, the mirror will remain up.  When the camera takes a shot, you'll hear the internal curtain shutter doors, but the mirror wont move.  

As I recall it begins the exposure with an electronic shutter (since the mechanical shutter is already open) but it finishes the exposure by closing the mechanical shutter.  It then resets for the next shot and opens the mechanical shutter. 

The vibrations are typically caused by the mirror slap... not by the mechanical curtain shutter. 

If you use a remote shutter release (not the camera app) and enable mirror-lock mode, then you have to press the release button twice to take a shot.  The first press causes the mirror to swing up (then you wait for vibrations to settle) the second press takes the shot with the mechanical shutter.  When the shot is complete the shutter closes and the mirror flips back down (when not in live-view mode).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks Tim, I figured that out last night shooting the moon.  Got some great shots.

A suggestion to Canon: one simple sentence in the documentation would have saved me some time.  What seems strange is that the docs warn about the potential dangers to the sensor from the camera being in a state of mirror lockup but are far more sanguine about Live View.  That is what threw me.

Thanks again,

Hank

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements