Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: 80D ISO Noise concern

[ Edited ]

@TTMartinwrote:

@Lonestar_Northwrote:

I just bought a brand new 80D.  I bought it to replace my 7D as I wanted to get improved high ISO noise performane.  My first day of shooting leaves me very dissapointed.  Is this typical of what I am to expect?

Link to higher resolution

http://lonestarnorth.ifp3.com/#/gallery/test-gallery/iso-80d-320/

Here is a screen shot of ISO 640 F8 and the sewcond at 320.  

You appear to be confusing Out Of Focus (OOF) areas with noise. 

A dSLR with a long lens will have a very shallow depth of field. The area out of that depth of field will be blurry and could be confused with noise. What you are depicting appears to be normal OOF area and not noise.

You can also make OOF areas look noisy by applying global sharpening. 

800% view of unsharpened OOF sky
no sharp sky.jpg

800% view of oversharpened OOF sky.over sharp sky.jpg

If you are using Lightroom avoid using global sharpening settings like 'Clarity' that also 'sharpen' OOF areas and ruin the bokeh. 

The way to avoid this is to use Masking to apply a heavy sharpening mask in Lightroom so you don't sharpen even areas.

lr 1.jpg

By pressing and holding the 'ALT' key, while moving the 'Masking' slider you can see what is being masked. Black areas will not be sharpened.

LR sharpening 1.png

Smooth unsharpened bokeh.

LR sharpening 2.jpg

Typically when using a heavy mask I set sharpening to 100. By using a heavy mask I can keep my noise reduction settings lower. My Noise Reduction settings are usually Luminance between 10-25, Contrast is set to match, i.e. 10-25, and Color is set to twice the Luminance value i.e.  25-50. I leave Detail and Smoothness at their defaults.