cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D Built In Flash Pops Up But Won't Fire

Toznator
Contributor

The built in flash on 80D pops up in Auto mode but won't fire.  I put "built in flash on" in the on mode and it will pop up but not fire.  I have been using 430EXIII RT and everything has been working fine.  Been shooting in P mode and built in flash and 430 have been working well.  Not sure if I have pressed the wrong button or what but I sure do need some help.  Thanks in advance.

38 REPLIES 38

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Try reading this.  The entire thread...

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/7D-pop-up-flash-not-firing-HELP/td-p/19721

Either Flash Fire Mode is turned off

Something in the hotshoe is keeping the flash from firing

or, the Camera needs to be serviced

Good luck.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the link.  I attached my external flash (430EXIII-RT) to the hotshoe and it flashes.  Take the external flash off and the built in flash pops up like it wants to fire but does not fire.  I looked close on the hotshoe and did not see any small buttons stuck.  Any other advice???

Even though the external flash fires the internal flash could be turned off in the menu, check the flash setup menu.

Your camera needs service. The flash is not working properly.

In the green Auto mode it is impossible to turn off the flash firing and there is no such menu option in the green Auto mode menu. Even with the flash turned off in the “Creative” modes like P, Av or Tv, the flash will still automatically pop up and fire in Auto mode. The  AF assist should also operate automatically and it also can not be turned off in full Auto mode.

The fact that the flash pops up automatically shows that there is no problem with the hot shoe sensor. The green Auto mode is commanding the flash to pop up and operate but the flash is defective. 

Mike Sowsun

Thanks for the information.  I went ahead and emailed Canon customer support.  Will update when they respond.

I am also having the same problem with my 80d

Me too.  In my case the flash fires but not enough to fill the room.  Also, I am no longer able to use the built-in flash as an optical master for external speedlites.  The built-in flash failed in the middle of a studio flash session and never worked since.  Resetting the camera did not help.  I've sent my camera to Canon for an inspection.

What was the result of inspection.  I too have can not fire built in and am having problems with external flashes now.

Hi bscholberg,

Canon repaired the camera at no charge.  I still had to pay for shipping and insurance to the service center in Costa Mesa, CA but return shipping and insurance was paid for by Canon.  The camera was repaired in the Boston area and returned within seven business days which seemed fast as it was necessary to disassemble the top part of the camera.  Everything is working now and I am happy with Canon's service.  I don't know but I suspect a component, quite possibly the flash itself, was replaced.

Announcements