cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8000+shutter actuations on brand new5d mk3 !!!!! How?

canonfan62
Apprentice

Unboxed new 5d mk3- put in spare cf card and sd card from 600d-t3i-  600d has8000+ shutter actuations. 24hours later, those 8000 actuations magically transferred themselves to my brand new5d!!! Grrrr!

q1 how?

q2 why?

q3 how can I remove them?

heeelp!

4 REPLIES 4

Peter
Authority
Authority

You should have formated your card. The camera continues the file numbers from the card. Nothing that should bother you.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@canonfan62 wrote:

Unboxed new 5d mk3- put in spare cf card and sd card from 600d-t3i-  600d has8000+ shutter actuations. 24hours later, those 8000 actuations magically transferred themselves to my brand new5d!!! Grrrr!

q1 how?

q2 why?

q3 how can I remove them?

heeelp!

Those aren't shutter actuations, those are file numbers. The file numbering transfered over from one camera to the other. There is a menu setting where you can have it reset the file numbers each time you change the card. You could reset the camera to that, and then after it starts over with IMG_0001 tell it to continue counting from there. You'll have to get into the menu to figure out how to do it. Or, just don't worry about it. Because again, those aren't shutter actuations, just file numbers.

That's a great idea-why didn't I think of that?, panic I guess!

many thanks for that suggestion will try it asap

You can actually tell the camera what naming convention you prefer.  But normally a 5D III will use 4 characters (combination of letters & numbers) for the camera and then 4 digits for the image number (the first one would have started with 0001 and increment from there.  

The 4 "characters" are actually different (I have a friend who also owns a 5D III and our camera bodies each use a different 4 character prefix (possibly derived via the serial number.  I suppose if you owned lots of bodies you might want to keep track of which image came from which camera body.)

But the point is... you can use EOS Utility to change it if you don't like it.  

You can't change the real shutter count (the one that Canon would pull out of the camera if they inspect it.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements