cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7d mk2 using Vivitar 2x teleconverter and Tamron 16-300mm issues

captnpetee
Apprentice

Just purchased a 7D MkII; currently own a T3i. Have a Vivitar Series 1 2XMC4 AF  teleconverter and it worked just fine (with the expected limitations of course) using Tamron 16-300mm f3.5-6.3 on the T3i. This lens does not work at all on the MkII. I get intermittently an "Firmware Update Fail" or an "Contacts must be dirty (sic)" message. Cannot use at all, not even manual focus, due to errors. Note that I'd updated camera firmware immediately upon receiving to current Canon Firmware version 1.1.0.
Obviously it works only on EF lenses, not EF-S... teleconverter worked on all that I own with the T3i body. Here's the breakdown on my lenses and the MkII body:

Tamron: Errors as stated...
Tokina Macro 100mm f2.8 😧 Intermittent autofocus (acts like it's not attached/doesn't know it's there at all), allows manual focusing. No errors displayed.
Canon 50mm f1.8: Intermittent autofocus (acts like it's not attached/doesn't know it's there at all), allows manual focusing. No errors displayed.
Canon 75-300mm f1.4-5.6 III: Works as intended.

My remaining lenses are EF, so no report on those.

Anyone having same problems?

9 REPLIES 9

@captnpetee wrote:

Just purchased a 7D MkII; currently own a T3i. Have a Vivitar Series 1 2XMC4 AF  teleconverter and it worked just fine (with the expected limitations of course) using Tamron 16-300mm f3.5-6.3 on the T3i. This lens does not work at all on the MkII. I get intermittently an "Firmware Update Fail" or an "Contacts must be dirty (sic)" message. Cannot use at all, not even manual focus, due to errors. Note that I'd updated camera firmware immediately upon receiving to current Canon Firmware version 1.1.0.
Obviously it works only on EF lenses, not EF-S...

I can't comment on your experience with your 3rd-party lenses. But I do know that that last statement, if true, cannot be generalized to other examples of the 7D2. My wife uses an EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS on her 7D2 with no problems whatever.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have used that same Vivitar teleconverter, with the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary, on a 7D Mark II without issue to capture shots of the Moon.  That converter works fine on the 7D Mark II.  You must be experiencing a quirk with that particular lens.  Whether it is the model, or just your particular lens, is at fault, is the only unknown.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

I have used that same Vivitar teleconverter, with the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary, on a 7D Mark II without issue to capture shots of the Moon.  That converter works fine on the 7D Mark II.  You must be experiencing a quirk with that particular lens.  Whether it is the model, or just your particular lens, is at fault, is the only unknown.

I have to take that back.  I have a different, more expensive model, the 2XMC7 converter.  It was both a red and white dot, so it works with both EF and EF-S lenses.  In fact, it provides a way to cheat, and use an EF-S lens on a full frame body, without the risk of damaging the camera body.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I can't comment on your experience with your 3rd-party lenses. But I do know that that last statement, if true, cannot be generalized to other examples of the 7D2. My wife uses an EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS on her 7D2 with no problems whatever.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

You must have misunderstood; the 7D2 accepts both EF or EF-S lenses just fine... it's the Vivitar Series 1 2XMC4 AF  teleconverter that cannot mount EF-S lenses to it, only EF. Cheers...

@captnpetee wrote:

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

You must have misunderstood; the 7D2 accepts both EF or EF-S lenses just fine... it's the Vivitar Series 1 2XMC4 AF  teleconverter that cannot mount EF-S lenses to it, only EF. Cheers...

Yeah, I realized earlier today that I had probably misconstrued what you said. I even tried to delete my message, but there was no option to do that.

Traditionally, this forum has allowed the author of a message to delete it. So I don't know why I was unsuccessful. Any explanation, Canon?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Robert!

Deleting your own post is still an option; however, it is only possible if the post you wish to remove is the last post in the thread. So if someone replies after you, you are no longer able to remove your post. You can still edit it though. Hope this clarifies!

Macoose
Apprentice

You might try contacting Vivitar's Tech support to see if there is a firmware upgrade.

I had some luck with a Tamron firmware upgrade for my 70-300 VC and the 7D2.

Good Luck! 

amfoto1
Authority

I''m not sure if you mean that the Tamron 16-300mm lens alone won't work or if it's just the 16-300mm in combination with the 2X Vivitar teleconverter. (or maybe both)

It's not unusual for a third party lens to have compatibilty issues with newer cameras.

Tamron reverse engineers their lenses to work with Canon cameras, rather than licensing the patented technology from Canon. All the 3rd party manufacturers do that and it's how they are able to sell them so much cheaper than OEM lenses. So their lenses may work fine with cameras that existed at the time or earlier than the lens was manufactured... but there are no guarantees they'll work with a new camera model that comes out later. It gets even more complex when you combine three different manufacturers: Canon camera, Tamron lens and Vivitar teleconverter! (Even worse, Vivitar doesn't actually make anything themselves, so that TC is no doubt made by someone else and merely labelled Vivitar Series 1. Based upon the model designation, I'd guess Kenko who also have "MC4" models.... but that's just a guess.)

It's always a bit of a risk with 3rd party stuff, that while it works fine with things that are current when it's manufactured, it might not be compatible in the future. Canon OEM lenses on Canon cameras, on the other hand, are pretty much a sure bet they'll work fine (L-series are guaranteed to work... others aren't but there also have never been any compatiblitiy issues).

Tamron might be able to fix it... or they might not.

Vivitar might have a fix for the teleconverter, or they might not.

Canon can't help. There's nothing they can do. It ain't the fault of the Canon camera and updating the firmware in the 7DII can't be expected to fix it either.

But, honestly, using a 2X teleconverter on a 16-300mm f3.5-f6.3 lens, I wouldn't have very high hopes in any case. First, that combo makes for an effective 32-600mm f7.1-f13 lens. The 7DII is rated to be able to autofocus an f8 lens/TC combo, but most of that particular zoom + teleconverter combo is way dimmer than that. There's not enough light for the autofocus to work with, plus your viewfinder will be pretty dim to try to focus manually. You might have some success manually focusing in Live View, if you enable Exposure Simulation to brighten up the image.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Tokina Macro 100mm f2.8 😧 Intermittent autofocus (acts like it's not attached/doesn't know it's there at all), allows manual focusing. No errors displayed.
Canon 50mm f1.8: Intermittent autofocus (acts like it's not attached/doesn't know it's there at all), allows manual focusing. No errors displayed.
Canon 75-300mm f1.4-5.6 III: Works as intended."

You have no lens that can be improved by or made better with the addition of any tele converter.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements