cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7d Focus Issues

MirandaH22
Contributor
I purchased a used 7d in February. It came with a Canon 50mm 1.8. It was working great up until last week after a photo session. It gets super humid where I live so I thought maybe that was the problem but my AF was hit and miss. I just took some photos Friday and not one of them were sharp, even at f/5. No spot on the image was sharp so it’s not missing focus, there’s totally no focus. I tried a lens calibration but everything was still soft. I have not done an internal cleaning on the camera so what’s the likelihood it’s dirt messing up my AF and not something more serious? How would I know what’s causing the AF issues?
14 REPLIES 14

@MirandaH22 wrote:
Nothing is shaking. The lens is acting just like it did before this hardly focusing thing started. I’ve never manually focused either. It started acting up the first day of hot/humid weather. Humidity gets up to 80% or higher here in MS. Maybe I didn’t let it dry out enough? I never got any fog while outside or when I put it in the car but I have no idea what else it could be except just a random happening

Having grown up in MS myself, I certainly hear what you're saying. But most of the humidity-related issues we hear about in the forum have to do with lens fogging. Offhand, I can't recall a case where humidity was related to an AF failure. I suppose anything is possible until proven otherwise, but I'd be very surprised if humidity turned out to be the source of your problem.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Have you switched between single-point and multi-point focusing?

MirandaH22
Contributor
I didn’t think it had to do with humidity but I’m fairly new to this so I wasn’t completely sure. I’m just annoyed at this point. I ended up cleaning the mirror and it looks sharper but not as sharp as it should be. I’ve been debating on buying a new lens and if that doesn’t fix the problem just getting a new camera or if I should send th camera off to be cleaned and inspected (which is $130). I’ve got a wedding coming up the first week of June I’m second shooting for so if I don’t get this fixed I’m out 😕

@MirandaH22 wrote:
I didn’t think it had to do with humidity but I’m fairly new to this so I wasn’t completely sure. I’m just annoyed at this point. I ended up cleaning the mirror and it looks sharper but not as sharp as it should be. I’ve been debating on buying a new lens and if that doesn’t fix the problem just getting a new camera or if I should send th camera off to be cleaned and inspected (which is $130). I’ve got a wedding coming up the first week of June I’m second shooting for so if I don’t get this fixed I’m out 😕

If it's important to you to stay in the game at that wedding, you may have to rent a camera and/or lens for the occasion. The silver lining is that doing that should allow you to determine whether your problem is with the camera or the lens.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

MirandaH22
Contributor
I did switch between single and multi-point. Multi-point seemed to make it worse
Announcements