cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D vs 760D

ekpreinhards
Contributor
I have limited experience with DSLRs and would like to know how the 7D compares to the 760D. Video isn't much of a priority, nor is continuous shooting. However low light performance is important to me as well as overall image quality. Not sure which camera is the better option any help would be appreciated, thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ekpreinhards wrote:

@Ray-uk  Yes, I am referring to the 7D mk1. I am predominantly looking for portrait/landscape camera and I don't have the need to blow up photos to a huge scale so that's not an issue. In which case the lack of AFMA shouldn't be too large an issue? So the only advantage of the 7D in terms of image quality is detail?

To me, the lack of AFMA is a deal breaker. I'd never buy another Rebel for that reason.

The goofy thing about it is that the most expensive (i.e., "L") lenses rarely need AFMA. So the cameras that are most likely to use lenses that need AFMA are the cameras least likely to have it.

Is the lack of AFMA so significant without printing on a large scale?

@ekpreinhards wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ekpreinhards wrote:

@Ray-uk  Yes, I am referring to the 7D mk1. I am predominantly looking for portrait/landscape camera and I don't have the need to blow up photos to a huge scale so that's not an issue. In which case the lack of AFMA shouldn't be too large an issue? So the only advantage of the 7D in terms of image quality is detail?

To me, the lack of AFMA is a deal breaker. I'd never buy another Rebel for that reason.

The goofy thing about it is that the most expensive (i.e., "L") lenses rarely need AFMA. So the cameras that are most likely to use lenses that need AFMA are the cameras least likely to have it.

Is the lack of AFMA so significant without printing on a large scale?

It depends on how much adjustment the lens needs and what you mean by "large scale". I once bought a lens and stupidly took it out on an important shoot before testing it. The lens turned out to need +9 points of AFMA, and the pictures I took with it that day were too blurry to send to the newspapers. Fortunately, I was using two cameras (as I usually did at events), and pictures taken with the second camera and lens were usable.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Jusy out of curiosity, what kind of camera are you using currently or in the recent past? This might help to define what your expectations are. Have you already invested in any lenses of a particular type?

@BurnUnit wrote:

Jusy out of curiosity, what kind of camera are you using currently or in the recent past? This might help to define what your expectations are. Have you already invested in any lenses of a particular type?

My father owned a 5D mk2 for a long time and would lend me his camera every so often and I'd almost exclusively use 50mm 1.4. Havent invested myself yet and am looking to pick up pretty tight budget (£300) body with something like the 30mm sigma 1.4 art lens.

Announcements