cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D mark I II to iPad control

Aleela
Contributor
I'm short sighted and want use my iPad mini as a camera screen, so I can use it as in live view set the camera settings I.e. ISO etc, is there anything out there (UK)
13 REPLIES 13

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Sent you a private message.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The viewfinder has a diopter adjustment wheel in the corner which lets you adjust the camera to your eyesight.  Point it at a plain white wall (something with no contrast -- even a plain blue sky would work).  You can deliberately de-focus the camera lens.  Now adjust the wheel in the corner of your viewfinder until the display inside your viewfinder (focus points, etc.) are all tack-sharp.  If the your eyesight is beyond what the adjustment wheel will allow you to set then you can buy option dioptric adjustment lenses.  You remove the eyecup from the viewfinder (squeeze and slide upward) and slide in the replacement which has a dioptric adjustment. 

As for remote control and using an iPad... Canon does not have a specific accessory for this.  I use a "CamRanger" for my 5D III.  The device is roughly the size of a cellphone and connects to the USB port.  It includes software to control the camera either from a mobile phone, tablet (I use my iPad) or computer (Windows or Mac).  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Aleela
Contributor
2 points,
1 it is not a focusing issue the diopter is set as close for my vision with glasses so is not my question
2 canon did not think clearly with the 7D and omitted to install wireless connectivity

WiFi is a fairly niche feature.  Many don't want it and consider it an unnecessary expense.  Only the 6D, 70D, and T6i/T6s have it and, of those, many owners of those cameras don't use it.  

The CamRanger isn't cheap -- here in the US it's about $300.  

From time to time I wanted to be able to pull select images from my camera onto my iPad -- so I could review them in more detail without waiting to return home where I could import them to my computer.  I started by getting an EyeFi card.  

The EyeFi looks like a normal SD card, but has a WiFi radio in it and firmware that integrates with the camera.  After you shoot a photo, the WiFi can transfer the image to another device (it would sync to an Internet cloud-hosted service which, in turn, syncs to your computer... but you can also put it in a devcie-to-device mode where it will transfer to a device such as an iPad even if you're not in range of any WiFi infrastructure.)

The biggest immedaite challenge I noticed was that it cannot transfer while you are using the camera.  You have to stop shooting. After your camera has been idle for several seconds, the EyeFi will activate its network (it normally keeps the radio off to save power) and start transmitting.  Hopefully your iPad is "on" (which drains power).  When the transfer is happening, it's very slow.  It takes takes a while for each image to transfer even if they're JPEGs.  I normally only shoot RAW.  RAW images take a very long time to transmit each image.  I would shoot and then want to review the shots but found I was waiting minutes between each shot before anything showed up on the iPad.  

A secondary limitation is that the EyeFi only has one function:  image transfer.    There is no camera remote control capability.

CamRanger provides a much richer interface.  They connect via the camera's USB port and they use Canon's APIs to control the camera (from that respect it's no different than using a "tethered" USB connection to a computer and controlling the camera via the computer.   This means you get a streaming video of the "live view" through the camera, can control camera focus, control all exposure settings, etc.   When you shoot a RAW, the RAW contains an embedded JPEG "thumbnail" image of the shot.  The CamRanger immediately transfers these (as you shoot) so you see the "film roll" of all thumbnails you've been shooting.  You then tap only those images that you actually want to transfer (so you don't waste time transferring everything -- though you can tell it transfer everything if you want.)  Also, the WiFi transfer speed between the CamRanger and iPad (or computer) is fast.  Transfers don't take very long.  The CamRanger has it's own battery so it doesn't draw down the camera power while in-use.

So yes... it's more expensive, but I think they did a solid implmentation with the product.  Given that this whole thing is a niche market anyway, the CamRanger doesn't exactly fly off the store shelves.   That means they're investing their engineering resources to a limited market and the cost per-product is naturally going to be more.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hi guys, I have both mark 1 & 2.

The diopter lens is NOT the issue, I am partially sighted, what I want is to use my iPad as a live view screen to monito the images as I take them.

Since all you want to do is use the iPad as a larger viewing screen, tethering should work fine so long as the iPad has connectivity to allow it (a USB port) and you have the EOS Utilities software installed on the computer. The latest version of EOS Utilities should work fine with both 7D and 7DII.

EDIT: I just did a search and see that iPad doesn't have a built-in USB socket. But I see there are adapters available such as this one at the Apple Store (similar adpaters can be found cheaper elsewhere). One end plugs into the iPad's power/data connector (Lightning), while the other end provides a female USB port, which the USB cable provided with your camera would then be plugged into (the other end of which is micro USB that connects to the camera).

Note that the description of this adapter mostly talks about downloading images from the camera to the computer... not much about controlling the camera from the computer. But you should be able to do either.

A lot of adapters have a male USB end, which you don't want. Those would be useful for a wired computer-to-computer connection, but not to connect a camera to the iPad.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

OK. Understand. I am not away of any iPad based solution that is inexpensive.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

If you are in a studio or home situation, you can "tether" a camera to a computer and monitor the live-view on the computer screen.  This is, of course, much less practical when you're shooting away from a studio or home (though I do bring my computer with me when I do food shoots at restaurants -- but I treat that like a studio situation.)  It's also possible to get long USB cables for tethering (e.g. 15' lengths are probably the most common "long" cables.)

But to do this wirelessly, the only options I am aware of are (a) use the CamRanger (3rd party device) or (b) use a camera that already has built-in WiFi like the 6D, 70D, or T6i/T6s.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Aputure VS-2 screen it is then, All I want is to be able to view the images as I take them, or using the screen as live view, not to actually make camera settings changes. thanks to everyone

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements