cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D mark 2 and 100-400l

Maxzuk
Contributor

Having issues with Autofocus was fine for first couple of days.

Only on my 100-400 lens keeps just switching off power to lens.

Have just started to to get error code 1 as well so looks to be a mounting problem and have sent camera back mounting my 17-55 lens feels to tight and my 100-400l feels to loose.

The 100-400 works fine on my trusty 50d so assuming camera at fault but if not where do you reccomend sending 100-400 for repair.

6 REPLIES 6

Maxzuk
Contributor

Having issues with Autofocus myself

Only on my 100-400 lens keeps just switching off power to lens.

Have just started to to get error code 1 as well so looks to be a mounting problem and have sent camera back mounting my 17-55 lens feels to tight and my 100-400l feels to loose.

The 100-400 works fine on my trusty 50d so assuming camera at fault but if not where do you reccomend sending 100-400 for repair.

Had a replacement  7d mark 2 delivered and am having exact same issues so it rules out the camera.

Have 3 lenses and only the 100-400L plays up.

It just keeps stopping focus and when it does camera always reporting F1.8 which is impossible. I.S, also switches off.

Lens works fine on my 50D also.

Things ive tried

Firmware

Reset

2 x 7d mark 2

(auto focus when impossible) tried on and off

Have talked to Canon and they want both back to calibrate them to work together? how can this be possible when surely the 7d mark 2 was made for lenses of this type.

@Maxzuk wrote:

Have talked to Canon and they want both back to calibrate them to work together? how can this be possible when surely the 7d mark 2 was made for lenses of this type.

Normally, calibration of the lens and body together makes sense only if there's a consistent focusing discrepancy (front or back focus every time) that's out of the range of autofocus microadjustment. So at least try AFMA first, to see where you stand. (Contrary to some of what you'll read in this forum, AFMA, at least at the level of accuracy required in this case, is pretty easy.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Who knows what all you may have done with, or to, the camera and/or lens but the problem lies with the communication between the lens and camera body.  Most likely why Canon told you to send both in.  And that is exactly what you should do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Finally got my equipment back turns out it was Lens needing repair (worn focus ring/IS faulty) Camera now works great.

Although Lens worked fine on my trusty 50D the 7D mark 2 seems to need equipment in tip top condition.

Not Happy

Canon had both my camera and lens for three weeks and £280 out of my wallet for the service.

testing this weekend issue still there.

Lens worked fine on my old 50D but wouldnt on my new 7d m2 so sent back and got new one with same results.

Took my kit to Canon themselves who blamed my lens (which worked fine on other cameras) now get errors that lens is F0.0 where as before repairs it was erroring at F1.8 which is wrong on a 100-400l lens.

Anyone else with a 7D mark 2 with a 100-400L lens and if so do you get issues?

Not paying out again for more repairs they can bloody fix it or refund.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements