cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D buttons not working

cschwartzy
Contributor

Hey all. I was out shooting some college football today (video) and the camera was working fine. Then all of a sudden I noticed that my record button was not working. Once I realized this I look closer and noticed that none of the other buttons (menu, iso, playback etc..) were working. 

This evening I sat down and tried to research the issue. I didn't find much. I took out both batteries and even did a software update. The only mode that buttons actually work in (Menu, play back etc.) is Full Auto. If I put it in any of the others the buttons become non responsive. The only thing that works in manual is the wheel by the shutter button but instead of it doing the Shutter, it controls the aperture, oh that and the light button. 

I really have no clue what the deal is. I am guessing there is an issue with the camera and it will need to be sent in. Anyone have any ideas?

Anything is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I just had to look up my video on how I fixed it. But.... If I put it in bulb mode I could get the menu button to work. Then I cleared all camera settings and it started working. May be worth replacing the watch batter inside the battery compartment also. Mines been working ever since.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

diverhank
Authority
If everything works in full auto then it seems to me like the problem is not hardware related.

Taking out the batteries and doing software update will not reset the custom settings (in this case probably accidentally set). Make sure the Quick Control Dial switch is not set to Lock. Then try resetting by selecting "Clear All Camera Settings" from the menu.
================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

cicopo
Elite

Verify that the On / OFF switch is fully in the ON position and not a few degrees from there.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

The on/off switch is all the way on, the lock button is off, I've been able to clear all camera settings. I let it sit all night after pulling the battery and still the same issue. I turn it on and it shows the date reset, if I'm in Manual then, the menu button works but as soon as I set the date and time it happens again. Buttons become non responsive and in manual all that I can change is the aperture which oddly is being adjusted by the wheel the shutter gets adjusted. 

It's like as soon as the shutter clicks then nothing wants to work. Could it be the shutter?

Some how I got it to finally work but then I switched to photo mode and the same issues happened. 😞

This could be a battery or charger issue. Do you have a second battery to try?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I've tried many batteries. I just somehow again got it working in Manual mode but as soon as I put a card in, the camera wanted me to set the clock and when I did that, again the issue popped up. Unable to adjust the shutter and buttons on the back (white balance, menus etc. don't work) And I just noticed in Manual mode the ISO is adjusting itself for exposure....

cschwartzy,

At this point, your camera may need to be examined by our Factory Service Center.  To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi cschwartzy - what did the problem end up being? I think I have exactly the same problem.
Announcements