cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D auto reverts to default settings

Todd00009
Contributor

Here is an interesting problem:

I have a 1 year old factor reconditioned 7D EOS I use exclusively for video recording which I typically shoot at 24fps..

Recently (ON ALL SHOOTING MODES) it automatically reverts to 1 minute shut off and 30fps. (it may revert to other defaults as well, but nothing that effects my shooting or that I've noticed.

Each time I turn it on, I must reset the fps, and the shut off time (to OFF or 30 minutes or whatever) - but then the next time I turn it on, it has reverted back to 1 minute shut off and 30fps.

Also, sometimes, even without shutting the camera off, it will automatically revert to 1 minute shut off, and shut itself off.

Note again, it does this on EVERY mode, even photography and custom modes.

A friend told me to try CLEARING all custom functions... but when I try that,  I get a message that says:

"cannot clear Custom Functions.

Select a shooting mode other than C1, C2, or C3"

The weird thing is I get the same message in MANUAL mode, or any other mode.

I also tried removing the clock battery, but the only effect that had is I had to resent the date and time.

Note: Firmware is 2.0.5

HELP!

--Pete aka Todd00009

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Considering you've done everything correctly and this thing keeps losing its mind...the only thing I can think of is that your clock battery is dead.   If you haven't already, try replacing a fresh battery and see if the problem still persists.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

The camera cannot clear settlings that are currently in use.  Try to put the camera into Green "A" mode, and then clear the functions.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I will try that.

I will also try replacing the battery.

But I fear the worse... the camera requires surgery.

The good news is, last week I purchased a 70D which is GREAT!

But I'm not ready to retire this 7D yet... as I still need it as second camera for my film shoots.

Thanks again, for all of your suggestions and support!

I tried removing the clock battery and putting it back in.

I don't think it's dead, because I was able to reset the clock...

But I will try replacing it anyway.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

@Todd00009 wrote:

:

HELP!

--Pete aka Todd00009

Your camera is telling you have have the mode dial set to C1, C2 or C3. Is that not the case?

I am trying to shoot in MANUAL (video) mode.

I do not use custom settings...

But - REGARDLESS of what mode I'm in, or what custom settings I designate...

When the camera is shut off ALL MODES revert back to 1 minute auto shut off and 30fps.

This happened even after I tried registering custom settings to 24fps and NO Auto shut off.

In fact even my registered changes reverted to 1 minute auto shut off and 30 fps!!!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Todd00009 wrote:

Here is an interesting problem:

I have a 1 year old factor reconditioned 7D EOS I use exclusively for video recording which I typically shoot at 24fps..

Recently (ON ALL SHOOTING MODES) it automatically reverts to 1 minute shut off and 30fps. (it may revert to other defaults as well, but nothing that effects my shooting or that I've noticed.

Each time I turn it on, I must reset the fps, and the shut off time (to OFF or 30 minutes or whatever) - but then the next time I turn it on, it has reverted back to 1 minute shut off and 30fps.

Also, sometimes, even without shutting the camera off, it will automatically revert to 1 minute shut off, and shut itself off.

Note again, it does this on EVERY mode, even photography and custom modes.

A friend told me to try CLEARING all custom functions... but when I try that,  I get a message that says:

The weird thing is I get the same message in MANUAL mode, or any other mode.

I also tried removing the clock battery, but the only effect that had is I had to resent the date and time.

Note: Firmware is 2.0.5

HELP!

--Pete aka Todd00009

C1, C2,, and C3 automatically revert to the last setup saved in C1, C2, and C3. 

Go to the menus and save your settings to C1, C2, aor C3 and they will always be there in the future.

Otherwise, use P,Tv.Av or M modes and your last setting will be saved.

To all of those who helped solve my problem.

My problem was the camera was auto-reverting to default settings.

(the most annoying was it was reverting to a one minute shut off time).

It turned out the clock battery needed replacing.

I had no idea a bad clock battery would have such a profound effect on all other camera functions.

Thank you again,

PETE

@Todd00009 wrote:

I had no idea a bad clock battery would have such a profound effect on all other camera functions.

Thank you again,

PETE

WOW! That would have been pretty low on my list of suspects, too. How does my 60D get by without a seperate clock/memory battery? Thanks for the follow-up, and kudos to Diverhank.Smiley Wink

@BurnUnit wrote:

@Todd00009 wrote:

Thank you again,

PETE

WOW! That would have been pretty low on my list of suspects, too. How does my 60D get by without a seperate clock/memory battery? Thanks for the follow-up, and kudos to Diverhank.Smiley Wink

I can't speak to the 60D in particular. (I've never even seen one.) But cameras that don't have a clock battery usually have capacitors that are charged from the main battery. The advantage of this approach is that there's no second battery to go dead. The drawback is that the capacitors won't stay charged as long as a battery would.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@BurnUnit wrote:

@Todd00009 wrote:

Thank you again,

PETE

If the software is interupt-driven, then a dead and dying clock is analogous to a dead heart.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements