cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D auto reverts to default settings

Todd00009
Contributor

Here is an interesting problem:

I have a 1 year old factor reconditioned 7D EOS I use exclusively for video recording which I typically shoot at 24fps..

Recently (ON ALL SHOOTING MODES) it automatically reverts to 1 minute shut off and 30fps. (it may revert to other defaults as well, but nothing that effects my shooting or that I've noticed.

Each time I turn it on, I must reset the fps, and the shut off time (to OFF or 30 minutes or whatever) - but then the next time I turn it on, it has reverted back to 1 minute shut off and 30fps.

Also, sometimes, even without shutting the camera off, it will automatically revert to 1 minute shut off, and shut itself off.

Note again, it does this on EVERY mode, even photography and custom modes.

A friend told me to try CLEARING all custom functions... but when I try that,  I get a message that says:

"cannot clear Custom Functions.

Select a shooting mode other than C1, C2, or C3"

The weird thing is I get the same message in MANUAL mode, or any other mode.

I also tried removing the clock battery, but the only effect that had is I had to resent the date and time.

Note: Firmware is 2.0.5

HELP!

--Pete aka Todd00009

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Considering you've done everything correctly and this thing keeps losing its mind...the only thing I can think of is that your clock battery is dead.   If you haven't already, try replacing a fresh battery and see if the problem still persists.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Try a new memory card, or try formatting the current one. Be sure to format in the camera.

I would also advise always using an empty folder for new video files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If you are using C1-C3 it soulds like it forgot its setting. Go through the procedure to re-regsister the settings. The whole point of the "C" settings is to set the camera to how you have them registered.

@kvbarkley wrote:

If you are using C1-C3 it soulds like it forgot its setting. Go through the procedure to re-regsister the settings. The whole point of the "C" settings is to set the camera to how you have them registered.

Hmm.  Sounds like the camera is set for one of the "C" settings.  It might be good to switch away from that mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hello, thank you both for your answers.

I always reformat card in camera before shooting, and use new folders.

With regard to re-registering - that solution seemed promising.

First note, I have never used custom settings. I always shoot in MANUAL mode.

But I tried registering AUTO POWER OFF to: "OFF" and Video size to: 24FPS.

But lo and behold, when I turned the camera off - it once again reverted back to "1 minute auto off" and "30FPS"

Interesting to note - my recently reverted "registered" custom settings also reverted back to "1 minute auto off" and 30FPS"!!!

any other ideas??

It seems to camera is ignore all custom and even manual settings, and just reverting back to factor default.

Actually, I'm not even sure if factor default is 1min. auto shut off and 30 fps...

Thanks for your continued help!!

Considering you've done everything correctly and this thing keeps losing its mind...the only thing I can think of is that your clock battery is dead.   If you haven't already, try replacing a fresh battery and see if the problem still persists.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Or his mode dial is messed up.

Does the LCD show the current mode? Does it match the knob?

Yes, the LCD matches the knob.

You can tell the knob works because the menu settings change...

but no matter what I set them to... when I turn the camera off... it reverts back to 1 minute auto shut off and 30fps.

If you are in "M" mode and when you try to clear the special functions settings you get the "Can't 'cos I am in C1, C2 or C3 mode", The camera is broken and needs repair.

well, unfortunately, that's what I am thinking...

but before I send it for repair, I figured I'd ask you guys first!

Thank you very much

Announcements