Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎05-06-2017

7D Mk2 Not Recognized by Windows 10

First: I am in I.T.. I have Googled & Binged many troubleshooting options, including all possible "turn it off & back on", "plug it into another port", & "reinstall the driver" (yes, there is a driver: the MTP driver). I am on Windows 10 (everything on newest updates) 

 

The camera is simply not there. It doesn't appear in Explorer, none of the software (Bridge, EOS Utility, Lightroom, etc) recognizes that it exists at all. It was working fine, but I joined my work domain which requires making a new user account. After that, nothing. I can't even get the EOS Utility to recognize it over WiFi anymore (that might be due to the domain join, but wired connect should work).

 

I have tried everythig I can find, including this little nugget: http://bit.ly/2pSeTJl

 

Please send help & coffee! Smiley Wink

Photos: https://flic.kr/damgood
Opinionated Nonsense: https://fb.me/durham.bell
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,915
Registered: ‎02-26-2015

Re: 7D Mk2 Not Recognized by Windows 10


damgood wrote:

First: I am in I.T.. I have Googled & Binged many troubleshooting options, including all possible "turn it off & back on", "plug it into another port", & "reinstall the driver" (yes, there is a driver: the MTP driver). I am on Windows 10 (everything on newest updates) 

 

The camera is simply not there. It doesn't appear in Explorer, none of the software (Bridge, EOS Utility, Lightroom, etc) recognizes that it exists at all. It was working fine, but I joined my work domain which requires making a new user account. After that, nothing. I can't even get the EOS Utility to recognize it over WiFi anymore (that might be due to the domain join, but wired connect should work).

 

I have tried everythig I can find, including this little nugget: http://bit.ly/2pSeTJl

 

Please send help & coffee! Smiley Wink


Does it appear in Windows Device Manager?

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎05-06-2017

Re: 7D Mk2 Not Recognized by Windows 10

@TTMartin: It does not. Thanks for your reply though! The computer is acting as if nothing is plugged in at all. No pop-ups, no driver install prompt, bubkiss. It is not detected as an imaging device, storage device, or even as anything attached to the USB bus. That last point made me suspect the cable, but I've tested it & it works fine with a number of other devices.


Incidentally, what should it be detected as? An imaging device? That & a storage device?


Once or twice—when attempting to connect via WiFi—the camera popped up in the "EOS Pairing Software" window for a split second. I was unable to pair it before it disappeared though.


I know Canon will want to point the finger at Microsoft & I know Microsoft (should I post on their support forums) would also want to point the finger at Canon. In my humble opinion (which is usually pretty accurate in such matters) there are three distinct possibilities:

  1. (somewhat unlikely) Something is amiss with the camera itself
  2. (less unlikely) The EOS Utility is going wonky with the 7D MkII
  3. (probably the most likely culprit) the firmware has another bug

I have tested the USB cable on other devices & it works fine.


I don't have another computer here with me to test the "it's Microsoft's fault" theory, but I will when I am able (probably later today). In the meantime I am totally open to sugestions including any kind of magic, hokum, or witchdoctoring that may fix the problem.


P.S.: Having finally got the remote shooting working on my Android—which was broken due to a bug in the 1.1.1 firmware that only arose when it was updated from 1.0.2 or below—I am inclined to think that it is another audacious bug that Canon will have to remedy themselves. Robot Sad

Photos: https://flic.kr/damgood
Opinionated Nonsense: https://fb.me/durham.bell
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎05-06-2017

Re: 7D Mk2 Not Recognized by Windows 10

P.P.S.: I just wanted to add that I have (naturally) uninstalled/reinsttalled the EOS utility (with a freshly downloaded copy) to no avail.

Photos: https://flic.kr/damgood
Opinionated Nonsense: https://fb.me/durham.bell
Honored Contributor
Posts: 6,273
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: 7D Mk2 Not Recognized by Windows 10

" ...  ... After that, nothing. I can't even get the EOS Utility to recognize it over WiFi anymore, ....  ..."

 

Wi-Fi?  The 7D2 does not have Wi-Fi.  Are you using a Wi-Fi adapter?  Either make sure the camera is not in Wi-Fi mode, or better yet, disconnect the Wi-Fi adapter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,283
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: 7D Mk2 Not Recognized by Windows 10


damgood wrote:

@TTMartin: It does not. Thanks for your reply though! The computer is acting as if nothing is plugged in at all. No pop-ups, no driver install prompt, bubkiss. It is not detected as an imaging device, storage device, or even as anything attached to the USB bus. That last point made me suspect the cable, but I've tested it & it works fine with a number of other devices.

 

Incidentally, what should it be detected as? An imaging device? That & a storage device?

 

Once or twice—when attempting to connect via WiFi—the camera popped up in the "EOS Pairing Software" window for a split second. I was unable to pair it before it disappeared though.

 

I know Canon will want to point the finger at Microsoft & I know Microsoft (should I post on their support forums) would also want to point the finger at Canon. In my humble opinion (which is usually pretty accurate in such matters) there are three distinct possibilities:

  1. (somewhat unlikely) Something is amiss with the camera itself
  2. (less unlikely) The EOS Utility is going wonky with the 7D MkII
  3. (probably the most likely culprit) the firmware has another bug

I have tested the USB cable on other devices & it works fine.

 

I don't have another computer here with me to test the "it's Microsoft's fault" theory, but I will when I am able (probably later today). In the meantime I am totally open to sugestions including any kind of magic, hokum, or witchdoctoring that may fix the problem.

 

P.S.: Having finally got the remote shooting working on my Android—which was broken due to a bug in the 1.1.1 firmware that only arose when it was updated from 1.0.2 or below—I am inclined to think that it is another audacious bug that Canon will have to remedy themselves. Robot Sad


While I can't provide a "solution" to your problem, I can provide a data point: My Lenovo laptop, running Windows 10 Pro, has no problem seeing, and communicating with, my wife's 7D2. Does that mean you've got something set wrong? I don't know. But if the shoe fits, wear it.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎05-06-2017

Re: 7D Mk2 Not Recognized by Windows 10

After completely reinstalling ("refreshing") Windows, I am still unable to pull up the 7D Mk2. I'm thinking that the camera's USB interface is bad. There is absolutely no other explanation since 1) Nobody else is having a similar problem & 2) None of the "standard issue" troubleshooting has produced any results whatsoever.
Photos: https://flic.kr/damgood
Opinionated Nonsense: https://fb.me/durham.bell
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎05-06-2017

Re: 7D Mk2 Not Recognized by Windows 10

Yes, I am using the W-E1 WiFi adapter. I thought that was pretty clearly implied since, as you say, "The 7D2 does not have WiFi." I have, of course, tried the connection without the adapter inserted. It made no difference whatsoever. Interestingly, the connection (via USB 3) worked until I introduced the W-E1 into the mix, then all connectivity ceased to function. I thought that may have been relevant & I thought maybe someone else had a similar issue. I will say that I am not super-thrilled that Canon failed to support 802.11ac. That relegates the connection to my older network connection, which means I have to switch connections manually whenever I wish to (theoretically) use the camera via WiFi (which I cannot do anyway).
Photos: https://flic.kr/damgood
Opinionated Nonsense: https://fb.me/durham.bell
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,283
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: 7D Mk2 Not Recognized by Windows 10


damgood wrote:
After completely reinstalling ("refreshing") Windows, I am still unable to pull up the 7D Mk2. I'm thinking that the camera's USB interface is bad. There is absolutely no other explanation since 1) Nobody else is having a similar problem & 2) None of the "standard issue" troubleshooting has produced any results whatsoever.

Have you tried it on a different computer? If, as you suspect, the problem is a bad USB interface on the camera, it should fail on any computer, shouldn't it? You indicated earlier that you were able to join your computer to your work domain. That suggests that you have enough clout at work to appropriate an additional computer for such a test.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Honored Contributor
Posts: 6,273
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: 7D Mk2 Not Recognized by Windows 10


damgood wrote:
Yes, I am using the W-E1 WiFi adapter. I thought that was pretty clearly implied since, as you say, "The 7D2 does not have WiFi." 

No, it was not obvious.  There is more than one Wi-Fi adapter from Canon.  The external adapter is fully featured, and functions the way that you seem to expect.  The Wi-Fi card is really for transferring JPEGs to social media, than for serious camera work, IMHO.

Contact Canon US Support, 1-800-OK-CANON.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement