cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark II missing a simple feature from the 70D and Rebels

Lee_Jay
Contributor

Please add, by firmware update, the 3x digital zoom (1:1 pixels, really 2.875x) in video feature present in the 70D and many of the Rebel cameras. I can attest to its usefulness from my use of it in my T2i. It's useful for astrophotography, specifically planetary astrophotography where large stacks of video frames are used to create a much better still than can be made any other way. It can also greatly extend the usefulness of a lens like the 18-135STM which would reach 135*1.6*2.875=621mm equivalent without the need to upscale. Finally, it would add the ability to take videos of, say, birds that are of the same resolution (resolving power, not pixel dimensions) as can be obtained from stills.

Ideally, it would be possible to smoothly zoom from full-frame to 1:1 and back using buttons on the back of the camera while shooting is in progress, but even the awkward menu item as it is implemented in the other cameras would be preferable to not having the feature at all.

Further, if it could be implemented while retaining dual pixel focusing (which the 70D does not) that would extend its usefulness even further to moving objects from stationary objects only.

The 7D2 looks to be a spectacular camera with a powerful feature set, which makes it all the more odd that this feature was left out.

Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14

Canon should include this feature in every camera they make that has video.

@Lee_Jay wrote:

My Rebel T2i at work has this feature, and I've used it at work for professional engineering purposes on several occasions.

The T3i had this feature too, which is why it is so popular with videographers.  It was removed for the T4i, and although I know they discussed bringing it back with the T5i I don't think they did.  Though I could be wrong.

"But we'll see if Canon does so."

Still betting Canon doesn't add it to a 7D Mk II, or any other semi-pro or pro body. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

c4v3man
Apprentice

The 3x "digital zoom"/1:1 crop from the 70D was exceptionally clean, since it was simply choosing the central pixels. I used this a few times and it was very handy. I have since upgraded to a 7D MKII and was looking for the function today. I'm not surprised it's not here (canon has a history of hiding useful capabilities that the hardware has) but it would be much appreciated if they brought back this feature. 

Since this thread was brought back to the top, let me mention two more 7D Mark II nits I'm having.

One, in video mode with servo focusing on, only one of the modes supports the option to change speed and responsiveness - FlexiZone Single.  I really, really need this option in FlexiZone Multi.  I shoot a lot of airplanes in flight, and if I don't keep the plane perfectly centered, the camera tends to try to focus on the blue sky pretty quickly, which of course it can't do.  In FlexiZone Single I turned responsiveness down to -2 and I only need to get the plane into the tiny center box once ever second or two to keep it tracking, but even doing that is quite difficult at long focal lengths with quick airplanes.  If I could do the same thing with the much wider area of FlexiZone Multi, it would work way better, but in that mode responsiveness is stuck way too high.  As soon as Multi loses the object for an instant the camera tries to focus on the sky.

The second one, is the customizable buttons, specifically the M-Fn button.  None of the things the camera allows are things I actually want to do with it.  What I want it to do is to turn on and off the grid and/or the electronic level.  There should be options to turn on one, the other, or both, and of course off should be the other option.  The final option should be to cycle through off, grid, level, both, and back to off.

Announcements