cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Getting the flash to pop up through the menu items

chaz2000
Contributor

Howdy!

I am new to the 7D, so please give me a little latitude with my lack of knowledge.

I just bought a used 7D. I knew the flash button was stuck when I bought it.

My question is; how to get the flash to pop up through the menus?

The problem is NOT the sticky post to the microswitch on the hot shoe. I disassembled, cleaned and tested that. I'm going to make a youtube video on it if anyone is interested or thinks it would be of value.

The preview button is also stuck. I think this camera must have been dropped.

Also, please see my other question about shooting video with the 7D.

Thanks,

Chaz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don't think you can do it through the menu. What you can do is switch to green square, leave the lens cap on and try to take a picture. That should pop up the flash.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Isn’t there a quick menu?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

First, again, I need you to understand that photography hasn't been, and isn't, my life. I'm aspiring to learn, even at my advanced age. I bought this camera (impulse buy off of Craigslist) to learn to shoot youtube videos. And yes, I feel like someone just starting flight school (back in the day) sitting in the cockpit of a F-15, looking at all the dials, switches and controls, wondering how you even start the thing, much less slipping the surly bonds of Earth And dancing the skies...

When I push the menu button, a lot of boxes are along the top of the screen. The first is a red box. At the bottom of that menu is Flash Control. Within that menu 5 options, the first two being; Flash Firing (which is enabled) and Built-in flash func. setting, in which the first item, Flash mode, is set to E-TTL II. Is that what you are talking about?

After going through all the other menus, the box on the end, the white star in the green box has the same options.

I went through everything in the manual that has anything to do with the flash and either couldn't find it or didn't understand that the answer was right there and I didn't see it.

I don't think you can do it through the menu. What you can do is switch to green square, leave the lens cap on and try to take a picture. That should pop up the flash.

THAT WORKED!

Thank you so much.

I put it on the green square on the program dial with the lens cover on. BAM!

Now I'm wondering how much trouble it would be to get the cover off of the camera to see it I can fix the stuck buttons.

Are the service manuals online?

Thanks again!

Announcements