cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70d - movie recording has been stopped automatically

LmharrisonTX
Apprentice

I just purchased a new Canon 70D...once I start recording, it records for a few seconds...small boxes appear on the upper right side of the display screen and then it shuts down and says "Movie recording has been stopped automatically"...is this due to a setting or something? I have been using a 7D for a number of years and this is a new issue for me...

54 REPLIES 54

Hi there,

I'm wondering if I'm having the same video problem or not. I was able to shoot continuous video when I first got the camera. Then after a few days, my Canon 70D would  stop recording, but there is no message saying "recording has been stopped automatically." Instead when I start the recording I see a progress bar at the bottom of the screen that fills up with blue and when it fills the entire bar, it stops. I films exactly 4 seconds every time and the progress bar seems timed to it.

Did I accidentally set the video to shoot to a specific time length? Or should I consider getting Extreme Pro cards as some of you suggested?

Thanks,
Stephanie

thinksideways - I think it's the same issue as we're having. I just ordered a 90mb/s SD card which arrives Monday and I'll test and update on if that fixed things.

I figured out my problem:  I had accidentally set my camera to shoot video stills so it was only recording in 4 second increments. Once I disabled this, the video started recording properly.

Solution
Based on my research and that of the others I'm reading here, I think the conclusion is that the Canon 70d needs a card that can write data at 40mb/second or better in order to record video using low compression (ALL-I). Anything slower than 40mb/s and the camera will record data faster than the card can write, resulting in a buffer overrun and the "video recording automatically stopped" error message.

Speed options: 40mb/s vs. 95mb/s
For me, the problem went away with a card rated at 40mb/s. Others here are experiencing similar success with cards rated at 95mb/s. So it looks like you can save yourself a bit of money and go with a 40mb/s card and the problem should go away. Or you can spend a little more and give yourself true peace of mind with the 95mb/s card, though that might be more speed and cost than you need for the 70d.

Speed matters more than Class
Interestingly many cards can be class 10 cards. According to the video below, is a designation that covers write speeds ranging from 24mb/s up to 95mb/s. In fact, I think class 10 might simply mean "writes data at better than 10 mb/s". So class 10 is sort of meaningless in the face of this issue. The number to keep your eye on when buying cards to fix the buffer overrun problem is the write speed of the card (mb/sec) Fortunately, there are lots of good options above 40mb/s on Amazon and the prices seem to be coming down.

Card speed affects more than just video
Also worth noting, the speed of the card also affects how many sill shots you get before things slow down when shooting in RAW burst mode (see this video: youtube.com/watch?v=TuEtZb3ZNLA). Again the takeaway seems to be that you get the best performance above 40-45mb/s.

I agree with Bitbucket1 - but for me I had issues with a 40Mb/s card and it went away with my 90Mb/s card. Just found a PNY "Elite Performance" 64GB card on Amazon for a super low $40 and it has worked flawlessly on my past two shoots, where the Sony 40Mb/S card acted up several times a shoot. Guess sometimes the 40Mb/s on the Sony wasn't reaching those speeds so the camera crapped out.

I'm considering my issue resolved with this fix.

I just bought a 70D & the Transcend cards are giving me this same issue. I am considering the PNY (instead of spending on a Sandisk Extreme Pro) and I would like to know if you are still using the PNY  Elite card (now that you have several months use) with no issues?

Hello, am I right in thinking (yes, I'm a newbie) that if I get a card that is 95mb sec and irrespective of the actual size of the memory card ie it can be 16gb, 32gb or 64gb the video recording will work properly?  I'm thinking of getting either the 16gb or 32gb Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb sec UHS-I mainly due to the cost factor.  Thanks for your help.

Yes. Imho, capacity is not a factor, only write speed.

Canon EOS 70D spec and settings says that it can record up to 29.59. no matter what settings and card you use it will not increase.

you can try it by choosing lowest resolution with lowest frame rate it will record max 29.59.

it will stop before the time only if you have card speed issue. i am using only a SDHC class 10 adata Apacer with 10MBps write speed and i can record upto 29.59 with settings 1080/25 both all-i and ipb compression mode. though Canon recommends cards more than 20MBps read/write and UHS-1 but it is working well for me.

make sure you are using at least Class 10 with 10MBps Write. I've already tested with class 4 card and found interruption while recording.

for memory cards, be aware from duplicates. there are lots duplicate SD cards for well known brands.

This info should be mentioned in the product info page. I also bought the same camera and faced the same problem because I was not informed about that earlier. Now I have to pay extra money to buy another memory card! 😞

Announcements