cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D froze up and now won't turn on after removing battery

jeffminder
Apprentice

My cannon has worked perfectly for a year.  Today I set up for a shoot and the video locked up when it was refocusing on the subject.  Simply locked up, camera froze like a Windows computer 🙂

I turned the power switch to off, but it didn't turn it off

I removed the battery and that worked to shut off the camera

I put the battery back in and I have no power, tried 2 batteries and a USB power but the camera, well...she be dead.

...any ideas?

75 REPLIES 75

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
The camera does not get any power from USB -- that's for data-transfer and remove camera control (tethering) only.

As for the battery... is it a Canon battery (e.g. is it the battery that came with the camera) and is it charged?

Do you happen to own a different battery to test?

Also (very important) are there any non-Canon products attached to the camera (a 3rd party battery grip, a 3rd party lens, etc.) If so, please remove them and see if the camera will power up. I've seen numerous problems with 3rd party battery grips doing things like this -- and less common I've seen issues where a defective lens can cause problems for the camera.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you for that input.

The camera has worked perfectly every day.  Both batteries I tried are fully charged.  I did have a 3rd party wireless mic but it was the same one I have used all year.  I removed it, I changed the lens (only use Canon lens') and tried another memory card as well.

No power, both batteries hold green in the charger.

No other third party stuff.  Nothing new for quite a while just great footage on a remarkable camera.  Canon said 30 days to have it fixed if I mail it in, Geek Squad says "it's the mother board"

It may be a problem with the camera itself... I ask those questions "just in case" it can save a trip to the service center.

One more thing... there are two micro-switches that will prevent the camera from powering up. One is on the battery door. The other is on the memory card door. There are some tiny tabs that engage the micro-switches when the doors are fully closed. Can you check to make sure the doors (and tabs) are (a) undamaged and (b) able to completely close and fit correctly?
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Just looked them over carefully and everything appears in order.  Both doors close properly and where tabs should be, it appears they are...nothing broken or missing that I can see.

@jeffminder wrote:

Just looked them over carefully and everything appears in order.  Both doors close properly and where tabs should be, it appears they are...nothing broken or missing that I can see.

It may have just been the card door to start, but, if you applied power back up the USB port that may have fried the camera.

I pluugged the USB chord through my laptop so that wouldn't do it.  I am shipping it to Canon for repair.  1 year and 3 weeks old, 3 weeks past the warranty.

But I bought another to use and got the 2 year warranty on it...always need a backup when filming in the field

DPEFILMS
Contributor
MY CAMERA IS DEAD, USING 2 DIFFERENT BATTERIES WHICH ARE NOT 3RD PARTY BATTERIES, FULLY CHARGED. I ALSO HAVE THE A/C ADAPTER. NO POWER! IVE TRIED SEVERAL YOUTUBE VIDEO SOLUTIONS. MY ONLY OTHER OPTIONS IS TO SEND IT TO CANON FOR A FEE TO BE REPAIRED OR TO TAKE THE CAMERA APART AND HOPEFULLY IT IS A SCREW THAT HAS CAME LOOSE ON THE PC OR MAINBOARD LIKE OTHER POSTS IN THES FORUMS AND AS SOME YOUTUBE VIDEOS SUGGESTED. THE 70D HAS SMALLER SCREWS AND I WILL NEED TO PURCHASE A TINY SCREW DRIVER SET JUST TO TAKE THE CAMERA APART AND SENSE I DID NOT SEE A VIDEO WITH MY SPECIFIC MODEL I REALLY DONT KNOW HOW TO TAKE THE BOTTOM OFF PROPERLY. IM STUCK

Catanman
Apprentice

Hi, I am experiencing the same problem.  It froze while I was taking video, and now won't turn on.  Battery is good, and covers are closed properly.  How did you end up resolving the problem?  (How much did it cost?)  Thank you!

This problem seem to start in the video or live mode more often. Had to send camera in to Canon for repairs. Service said the main pc board was bad and need replacing. It is @ a $380.00 repair. My camera was less than 2 years old but still under warantee. Glad I had the extended warantee.

Announcements