cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D froze up and now won't turn on after removing battery

jeffminder
Apprentice

My cannon has worked perfectly for a year.  Today I set up for a shoot and the video locked up when it was refocusing on the subject.  Simply locked up, camera froze like a Windows computer 🙂

I turned the power switch to off, but it didn't turn it off

I removed the battery and that worked to shut off the camera

I put the battery back in and I have no power, tried 2 batteries and a USB power but the camera, well...she be dead.

...any ideas?

75 REPLIES 75

Troutwink
Contributor

Hello- I know this is an old thread but maybe I can still help someone.  I was shooting video this evening and the same thing happened as I have been reading; err message, lock down, and then complete shut down.  When I turned it back on, nothing.  I tried some of the ideas and videos posted here- nothing.  NOTE:  I was using a third party digipower battery.  I replaced it with a fully charged Canon battery and voila- back in business.  

I hope this helps someone.

Follow  up to my own post:  Here we are three years later and it happened again.  I was ready to give up as the old tricks didn't work.  I called Canon and they repaired it at no charge.  There was a recall due to this issue.  Turn-around was ten days end to end, no charge, not even shipping.  It's worth checking out to see if you meet the criteria if having this issue with your 70D.

derektj
Apprentice

I know this is an old thread but I repair Canon cameras and many other makes. I am changing a shutter on a 70D right now and am waiting for a part. I just thought to do some research and came across this thread and this is an issue with the original mainboard overheating. They have a fix for it with a newer main board and some additional protection that goes over a processor that overheats.

Thank you sir, do you have a part number? I’ve been dragging my heals on switching out the board. I even broke down an purchased a Sony to replace that Canon.

Part number CY3-1834-000, the new board will come with no data in it. You will have to order software that is online that will allow you to program the new  board but it is costly 275 and will only program just the 70D. The only things that need to be programmed after changing the board is the focus and shutter. The software that you would use would program all other data except those two. I use a Canon 50 1.4mm, focus chart (can find online for free) and a shutter multiplex machine. The cheapest option I could think of would be to shop program the new 

my 70d has died with the same symptoms. Is it worth getting repaired through canon? This sounds like a common defect that Canon should repair for free

@funkysandmanwrote:
my 70d has died with the same symptoms. Is it worth getting repaired through canon? This sounds like a common defect that Canon should repair for free

It is stil worth getting repaired. I haven’t been keeping count, but I have seen very few people complaining of a second failure.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

m0ses01
Contributor
Depends on how old it is. Mine was still under the extended warrantee. I have another year left on the warrantee and Will sell or trade before the warrantee expires. This is a known problem with most digital cameras. Found out thru their engineers that these cameras have a known life. Will never buy one without at least a 3 year extended warrantee.

@m0ses01wrote:
Depends on how old it is. Mine was still under the extended warrantee. I have another year left on the warrantee and Will sell or trade before the warrantee expires. This is a known problem with most digital cameras. Found out thru their engineers that these cameras have a known life. Will never buy one without at least a 3 year extended warrantee.

This had not been my experience, but definitely with the 70D.  I have seen two recent posts..  one from a guy who has had his board replaced twice.  First was the same PCB, it failed within a year of being serviced.  He got a v2 board the secoond time and has been good.  There is a woman however, who is looking at her 3rd replacement.  My advice to her was fix, save and sell. 

I've owned several cameras with zero failures.  Warranties are good if you plan to keep your camera for a very long time or use it for work.  In addtion, you have to weigh the cost to value ratio...  as in how much does it cost to protect my investment in comparison to what you would lose if you can't use your camera.  

I am not discounting the value of an extended warranty, but I wouldn't feel compelled to buy one unless I was not in a position to replace the initial investment. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

My 2005 purchased 1D Mark II is still going strong but is now in a backup role to the 1DX Mark II.

Clearly there is an issue with one or more components on the 70D circuit board, either from a flawed component or a flawed design running the component out of environmental specs, but a digital camera can and should have a very long life.  At some point components do fail (i.e. electrolytic capacitors or issues due to the removal of lead from integrated circuits) but normally failure within a decade is going to be from components that are primarily mechanical in nature like the shutter and encoders used for user control.  I restore vintage amateur radio gear and most of it from the 1960s and 1970s has all of its original solid state components functioning perfectly but the RoHS virtual prohibition upon the use of lead means current semiconductors aren't going to provide that sort of very long reliable life so don't expect to leave your current electronics to your grandchildren.

The 70D clearly has an issue that should have been addressed by Canon to keep their image clean but every company creates a bad product sooner or later.  I have owned a lot of Canon products and the only bad one was a camcorder I bought in the early 90s that was constructed with very poor quality flexible printed circuit interconnecting ribbons.  I ended up building replacements for them which made the camcorder reliable and had I needed a new 35mm at that time it probably wouldn't have been a Canon product but I got over that experience 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements