cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D froze up and now won't turn on after removing battery

jeffminder
Apprentice

My cannon has worked perfectly for a year.  Today I set up for a shoot and the video locked up when it was refocusing on the subject.  Simply locked up, camera froze like a Windows computer 🙂

I turned the power switch to off, but it didn't turn it off

I removed the battery and that worked to shut off the camera

I put the battery back in and I have no power, tried 2 batteries and a USB power but the camera, well...she be dead.

...any ideas?

75 REPLIES 75

@RoosterStudios wrote:

So, you can add me to the list of many users having the same issue. This body was only a year and a half old, light use as it was a secondary camera. I was filming a wedding, switching back and forth from two different 70Ds to give one a break. The longest recording was the actual service about 12 minutes running time. The other clips were 30seconds at best. It's very discouraging to see so many issues and Canon not address it with some sort of recall.  As with most users, it looks as if the PCB board is now hosed. I saw the critical error code and the camera wouldn’t shut down, so I pulled out the battery and finished with the other camera.  I’m torn as to replace the camera with an actual video camera and chock this up as lessons learned and jump ship from Canon and start looking at Sony or FujiFilm’s mirrorless units, but I have all this nice glass, ugggh!!! #Canonsbigletdown #criticalerror 

So now I am watching videos how to swap out the mother board and debating spending the a bit less for one of them vs the cost of a pricey repair. 

Click here for YouTube 70D repair vid

Not unless you have the experience and the proper tools already on hand, I would leave any repairs to professionals.

Before you jump ship, be aware that people have all of the same complaints about other brands.  The most common problem seems to be DSLR overheating, and Canon models seem be the least susceptible.  If you want a video camera, then buy a video camera.  Even thought a video camera can capture stills, would you use it to capture still photos?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I’m not too worried (optomistic as I've yet to try it) about the dynamics of the hardware, I used to building computers and small repairs to laptops some years ago, seems pretty strait forward, the only concern I have is the smallness of the mother board and flexible data ribbons, if only I had the size of hands I had when I was 10. 

15 flex ribbons

4 wire harnesses

1 optical 

1 microscopic battery

Now, any recommendations as to where to purchase said motherboard for the states?

m0ses01
Contributor
Seems that most of these digital cameras have similar problems. @ 2.5 year life. Similar to the cell phones. Too expensive to repair so we find ourselves just buying new ones. I'm sure Sony have similar issues since the same company is probably making their motherboard also.

m0ses01
Contributor
After speaking to Canon and getting my camera back with new circuit board, this is a known problem. Not a perment fix other than replacing board and eventually getting a new body (80D,90D, or whatever). We can be sure it too will have some error code to shut it down after a couple of years. This was true with my EOS 10D and EOS 50D. Thanks for the extended warranty. I'll definitely get rid of it before the warranty go out.

m0ses01
Contributor
Yes Michellecorm they replaced the mother board and cleaned the camera.

Is the motherboard and pcb the same thing? Mine is currently in the shop for "repair" for that. 

@m0ses01 wrote:
Yes Michellecorm they replaced the mother board and cleaned the camera.

Yes, It is the same thing. Recieved mine back from Canon and all seem t o work fine. Just don't have that secure feeling anymore, knowing it may stop at any time. I did start getting the Error codes prior, but they were intermittent. I could turn off the camera, take out the battery and it would work. Have two more years on my extended waranty and I will replace.

How long has it been since you fixed yours? It's going to cost me $250 for our local shop, pending they can "fix" it instead of replace it. I'm not sure that I made the right decision considering it's "only" $800 for a whole new body.... and I'm not even certain I trust Canon anymore. I just have so much invested in lenses.

Just got it back 2 weeks ago and did an event last weekend. Seem to be working ok. I'm in the same boat as you are. After doing some research on this, it's not just Canon.  It's a digital SLR problem. Very similar to  the cell phones. Their life is only about 2 to 3 years and it's usually cheaper to get a new one than repair the old one. I'll keep the body as a back up and probably get the 80D or somethig similar. Seems that using the live view and the video mode also shortens the life of the circuit. I do notice the camera get hot when doing long videos. My 70D is less than two years old, however I have over 10k clicks on the shutter. Always get the 4 year extended waranty.

joshhuntnm
Contributor

i have the same problem. Based on search on the web, it seems pretty common. 

Announcements