cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D froze up and now won't turn on after removing battery

jeffminder
Apprentice

My cannon has worked perfectly for a year.  Today I set up for a shoot and the video locked up when it was refocusing on the subject.  Simply locked up, camera froze like a Windows computer 🙂

I turned the power switch to off, but it didn't turn it off

I removed the battery and that worked to shut off the camera

I put the battery back in and I have no power, tried 2 batteries and a USB power but the camera, well...she be dead.

...any ideas?

75 REPLIES 75

Karenanne
Apprentice
Yes i am having the same issue. Maybe Cannon needs to do a recall

Hello everyone!

I'm from Ukraine and I had same issue with my camera.

It was almost new (2-3 month) and one of the time I saw err70 err80. It also freezes and start heating up... I tried everything - to take out battery, on-off.. then it shutdown completly. I couldn't turn it on.

In service they said that main board and pcb power board is dead. So I paid a lot for new parts and settings.

Now today after few month of work I get other problem, screen and shutter is not working, but camera can be turned on. autofocus and small settings screen is working , also memory card holder is not blinking at all... 

In photo I'm Nikon user of d700 for many years with no problem, but I liked reviews of new autufocus of 70d and I wanted to give it a try for my video shoots... Now I'm very sorry for this. I will take it to the service one more time and will sell it next day... This camera is a peace of junk, I see a lot of problems all over internet that people have with it.

Did you ever get a resolve for your issue? 

craigcude
Apprentice
same exact thing happened to me. was even shooting video just like the original post. camera froze and image continued to show on screen even after I shut the camera off. Doesn't show anymore and camera will not power on with 2 different fully-charged batteries. I have owned the camera for 15 months now. Very disappointed...

Did you ever figure out a solution? 

You still have the 70D not working?

craigcude
Apprentice
my camera is a EOS 70-D for reference.

ericeriffic
Apprentice

This camera needs a recall CANON!!  My less than 1 year old canon 70D that I took care and pampered so much already shows problems.  Like what most of this people said, my 70D froze while I was recording a video.  I sent my 70D to canon to be repaired and the problem is the PCB.  It will cost me $459 to get it repaired, are you kidding me!

Franafro
Apprentice
I'm having the same problem with my 70 D
It froze up while I was shooting a video interview. I'm using original batteries and I had normal use of the camera for 18 months.
The store sent it to Canon for a $40 fee for reparation estimate and after two weeks they want to charge me $230 to fix it up.
No way.
This camera needs a recall
Very disappointed, didn't know that Canon sucks that much

Franafro
Apprentice
Now I'm stuck with a camera that doesn't work anymore no signal, nothing.....
Announcements