cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D froze up and now won't turn on after removing battery

jeffminder
Apprentice

My cannon has worked perfectly for a year.  Today I set up for a shoot and the video locked up when it was refocusing on the subject.  Simply locked up, camera froze like a Windows computer 🙂

I turned the power switch to off, but it didn't turn it off

I removed the battery and that worked to shut off the camera

I put the battery back in and I have no power, tried 2 batteries and a USB power but the camera, well...she be dead.

...any ideas?

75 REPLIES 75

@ericeriffic wrote:

My 70D had this problem last year before even reaching the one year milestone.  I had to pay it out of my pocket and it costed me about $413 to get the PCB replaced.  When I received it back after getting repaired I made an AD on craigslist and sold it.  I didn't want to deal with that camera anymore, after reading a lot of people were having problems.  Mostly the ones that are making videos.  I made an upgrade to Canon 80D, I lost a lot of money during the process which I'm a bit salty about.

There must be more to the story than that. At less than a year old, it would still be under warranty, wouldn't it?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yeah that is strange. My camera was 6 months out of it's first year and Canon still did the repair for free. They said initally that if it was within the year the coverage would be free. Generally (not assuming) they don't cover it if there's any damage, otherwise absolutely they should have covered that repair... 

Ps. yes there should be a recall and probably I got a good person who wanted to help.

Had this issue and had it repaired for free after being told I should write a letter to request a special exception to cover the repair. I purchased in Australia and had it repaired 18month later in Canada where I was living at the time.

@Janglin wrote:

Yeah that is strange. My camera was 6 months out of it's first year and Canon still did the repair for free. They said initally that if it was within the year the coverage would be free. Generally (not assuming) they don't cover it if there's any damage, otherwise absolutely they should have covered that repair... 

Ps. yes there should be a recall and probably I got a good person who wanted to help.

Had this issue and had it repaired for free after being told I should write a letter to request a special exception to cover the repair. I purchased in Australia and had it repaired 18month later in Canada where I was living at the time.

Broadly speaking, Canon's rules regarding international warranty repairs aren't really defensible. Canon is a global corporation, and equipment that needs warranty repair should be accepted by any of their service centers, regardless of where the equipment was purchased. (I.e., the situation referenced above shouldn't require a special exception.) The obvious reason for not doing it that way is that Canon's international divisions are their own cost centers and shouldn't have to pick up repair costs that belong to another division. But fundamentally it's just an accounting issue, and Canon's corporate headquarters could obviously figure out a way to equitably balance the books.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I writing to you becasue your an acitve member. WHERE do I post a new topic?, Wher can I fidn help for this?

I'm just wondering if you ever got the issue resolved. My 70D was working fine then suddenly just quit and won't turn on anymore. 

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
If your camera was less than a year old Canon would have covered the repair under warranty. Something is missing from your story.

JoseRoman
Apprentice

Was the same problem too.

I have noticed that Canon just recently released a firmware update for the 7D Mark II, which corrects a couple of issues.  One of the issues that the update is said to correct are certain combinations of settings causing "ERR 70".  The release notes did not identify what combinations can cause issues/

I suppose the lesson to be gleaned here is that a thorough reset of the camera bodies can clear the perfect storm of settings that apparently can cause the camera bodies to just simply lose it.  A thorough resets must be performed in at least three places in the menus.  For example, doing a "restore factory defaults" doesn't clear custom buttons, which have their own reset function.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

m0ses01
Contributor

Had to send camera in for repairs to Canon. Was told they had to replace main circuit board. Camera is less than a year old. Not a very good sign from Canon.

RoosterStudios
Apprentice

So, you can add me to the list of many users having the same issue. This body was only a year and a half old, light use as it was a secondary camera. I was filming a wedding, switching back and forth from two different 70Ds to give one a break. The longest recording was the actual service about 12 minutes running time. The other clips were 30seconds at best. It's very discouraging to see so many issues and Canon not address it with some sort of recall.  As with most users, it looks as if the PCB board is now hosed. I saw the critical error code and the camera wouldn’t shut down, so I pulled out the battery and finished with the other camera.  I’m torn as to replace the camera with an actual video camera and chock this up as lessons learned and jump ship from Canon and start looking at Sony or FujiFilm’s mirrorless units, but I have all this nice glass, ugggh!!! #Canonsbigletdown #criticalerror 

So now I am watching videos how to swap out the mother board and debating spending the a bit less for one of them vs the cost of a pricey repair. 

Click here for YouTube 70D repair vid

Announcements