cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D froze up and now won't turn on after removing battery

jeffminder
Apprentice

My cannon has worked perfectly for a year.  Today I set up for a shoot and the video locked up when it was refocusing on the subject.  Simply locked up, camera froze like a Windows computer 🙂

I turned the power switch to off, but it didn't turn it off

I removed the battery and that worked to shut off the camera

I put the battery back in and I have no power, tried 2 batteries and a USB power but the camera, well...she be dead.

...any ideas?

75 REPLIES 75

Abhiash
Apprentice
same problem here ... What to do ... Pls give me a solutions...

Franafro
Apprentice
Call Canon and explain your situation
If you're not under the one year warranty,they will charge you $250 to change the motherboard.
In my case first thing I did was going to the store so they charged me $45 to sent it to Canon.
When they finally called me and said they wanted to charge me $250 which is like an estimation because At this point they don't even touch your camera until you make the payment.
I refused and they shipped me back my non working camera to the store.
After that I decided to call Canon directly after spending half an hour on the phone they gave me a code for free shipping with Purolator.
I printed all these discussions on this forum and wrote a letter explaining my case asking for free reparation.
Then they called me back with the same story $250 for reparation. Again I spent another half an hour on the phone discussing that my camera stopped working after a year and half of normal using and rhe girl on the phone wasn't treating me very well at the end she was going to close my dossier.
I finally asked to talk to a supervisor and off for two days the reparation headquarter called me back and we had a long discussion on the phone to finally give me 50% off for reparation.

Now I have my DSLR back and it's working fine. It was a real pain in the ass to have to deal with Canon Canada .

I recommend to always get the extended warranty he directly on your store when you buy this kind of material Because they will replace your gear instantly so you won't need to rent stuff while you're dealing with these company's service a la clientele

failoan
Apprentice

SAME PROBLEM HERE,,,...... TODAY IT HAPPENED I WAS SHOOTING A VIDEO, WHILE I ZOOMED IN IT JUST FROZED....

hivhiv
Apprentice
This camera has serious problem of overheat shotting videos or taking photos in liveview. Look for "70D error 80" on Facebook, more than 400 cameras with exactly same problem as you. TY Canon for the worst camera ever. Look for a video call canon 70D error 80 on YouTube.

@hivhiv wrote:
This camera has serious problem of overheat shotting videos or taking photos in liveview. Look for "70D error 80" on Facebook, more than 400 cameras with exactly same problem as you. TY Canon for the worst camera ever. Look for a video call canon 70D error 80 on YouTube.

The EOS 70D is primarily a DSLR camera, which just happens to have the ability to record short video clips.  If you primarily wish to shoot video, then I suggest that you purchase a video camera.

The sensor in a DSLR overheats because it is very different from a sensor in a video camera.  A DSLR typcially has a CMOS sensor, which allows for high resolution at high speeds.  A video camera typically has a CCD sensor, which does not have as high of a resoultion, but also does not produce as much heat, and therefore can operate for much longer, extended periods of time compared to a CMOS sensor.

BTW, Canon DSLRs far outperform the competition when it comes to recording video.  Competitor gear overheats even faster.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle, I'm curious about your post. Could I have your advice on this matter ?

I also had the problem last week with my Canon 70D (froze while shooting a video, I let it cool down but when I tried one hour later to re shoot video, it froze after less than two minutes). I'm really afraid to shoot again with it now, would even like to avoid it but I still have a few commitments I have to respect.

I was not aware it could damage the camera to shoot video for a few hours. I always let it cool down when it's warm, and I don't shoot video that often. I also own a 6D which I mainly use for photography. Do you think shooting with the 6D is also taking a risk for the camera to overheat ? Or does that camera should not have the same problem as the 70D ? (My 6D is still protected by the warranty, while the 70D is not, but I do love and use both of them...)

Hariblakz
Apprentice
Thanks man that solution fixed my canon 70D

brotobeasr
Apprentice

Hello everyone,

yes my 70d has also bit the dust and in the same way as most have described in this thread. the  pcb assembly board looks to be the main cause of this problem.  i feel this should be a recall issue as it is happening to a lot of people from all the searching i have been doing.  from what i have heard canon has worked with some people and repaired for free or charging upto and over $400 for the repair.

for the first couple of years i did not shoot a lot of video so i did not see this problem but over the last year i started moving into the genre and then i started to experience the freezing up part.  i thought maybe it was just a card issue and really did not think about it much after reseting the battery.  then it started getting worse where in 1-2 mins it froze and would not reset.  then it migrated into the picture side where it started freezing up and then finally i went to turn it on and nothing.

i tried new cards batteries the works and nothing would work then i started the research which led me here and many other pages.  

it is so sad that this is happening as i love this camera.  i am hoping that canon will do the right thing when i approach them again and i have been asking those that have had it repaired for free how they worded their request.  if you are one of them that got canon to repair for free please let me know what your approach was to canon.  please email me at [MOD NOTE: email address removed per FORUM GUIDELINES] maybe all of us with this problem can get it fixed for free and those that have paid maybe get some money back

thanks

russ

Hi Brotobeasr, same problem here;

Anything new, did you sent the camera? Like you, I love my camera, in fact I was thinking about buying the 80D. Now I'm worried about how much its gonna cost me. Nothing about the recall?

Thanks!

My 70D had this problem last year before even reaching the one year milestone.  I had to pay it out of my pocket and it costed me about $413 to get the PCB replaced.  When I received it back after getting repaired I made an AD on craigslist and sold it.  I didn't want to deal with that camera anymore, after reading a lot of people were having problems.  Mostly the ones that are making videos.  I made an upgrade to Canon 80D, I lost a lot of money during the process which I'm a bit salty about.

Announcements