cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D froze up and now won't turn on after removing battery

jeffminder
Apprentice

My cannon has worked perfectly for a year.  Today I set up for a shoot and the video locked up when it was refocusing on the subject.  Simply locked up, camera froze like a Windows computer 🙂

I turned the power switch to off, but it didn't turn it off

I removed the battery and that worked to shut off the camera

I put the battery back in and I have no power, tried 2 batteries and a USB power but the camera, well...she be dead.

...any ideas?

75 REPLIES 75

Janglin
Apprentice

Hey there,

could you you possible give us an update? A lot of people seem to be having this issue more recently but there's no one posting what ended up happening or what the solution ended up being.

please, if you can, tell us what happened. Thanks!

Am a Camera technician, is something that I know how to do. This was a very  big problem that many people has been complaining on many sites, I saw it as a challenge and later win the challenge by running some troubleshooting . The problem is from the motherboard. There is 

an ic in the motherboard that works as a relay, when it heats up it will melt inside and cause a shot circuit which will stop the camera from working, a little shock eg: ON or OFF the camera can effect this component because of its nature.. I've fixed many from different States/countries just like a joke people started sending mails calls and so on . please contact me, I assure you I will bring your camera back to life.

<removed per forum guidelines>

@Utchjoe wrote:

Am a Camera technician, is something that I know how to do. This was a very  big problem that many people has been complaining on many sites, I saw it as a challenge and later win the challenge by running some troubleshooting . The problem is from the motherboard. There is an ic in the motherboard that works as a relay, when it heats up it will melt inside and cause a shot circuit which will stop the camera from working, a little shock eg: ON or OFF the camera can effect this component because of its nature.. I've fixed many from different States/countries just like a joke people started sending mails calls and so on . please contact me, I assure you I will bring your camera back to life.

<removed per forum guidelines>

But no comment on the substance of the post? I'll bet there are a few 70D owners who would like to know whether Canon thinks that his analysis of the problem is correct or that he's just blowing smoke.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

WontTurnON
Apprentice

I tried everything I could to fix my canon 60d that just would not turn on. (I think it got wet or something) anyway the way I fixed it was that i read on a forum somewhere that you should toggle the ON and OFF switch like 100 times when the battery was out then when you put everything back in SLOWLY move it from OFF and ON until you see a sign of life. For me my camera turned on after many months of not working in between the OFF and ON button for a split second.. in that moment i knew i was gonna fix it! I turned the camera off again and keep toggling the ON and OFF button as fast as I could and every time I turned the camera on it was turning on closer to the actual on button. Eventually I had to secure that the ON button was being pushed to the side so the camera would remain on and after leaving it ON for a while it didnt need to be secured anymore and my camera was working! == Turn off camera, removed everything, toggle the ON and OFF button like crazy, put everything back in, slowly move the OFF button to ON and watch for signs of light, repeat several times until you do(for my it was the light from card holding that flashed orange once, nothing else was working) ==

evanchristina
Apprentice

Hi, just wondering if you ever resolved this issue with your 70D. I seem to be having the same problem and am wondering what it will cost me to have it fixed. 

Hey, so the update.

After finding my receipt and realizing I was 3 months over my 1-year warranty (also purchased in another country), I called Canon. They explained to me that the issue was not covered and I was outside my warranty and could send it into their repair center for a fee.

I wrote them a long letter explaining my usage and everything that'd happened as well as what I was hoping they could do (fix it for free). After a week I got an email saying that they'd accepted my job and were fixing it for free. I took a lot of time with the letter I wrote them and was so happy with their response of doing the repair at no charge. It seems my plea did not go unheard.

I'm sad to say none of the videos/blogs/forums helped with my issue. I was told by Canon to even try some of these methods I'd heard about, but nothing worked. They ended up replacing the battery connector I believe. Apologies I don't have more, but hate when people post and never reply or update again.

Well thank you so much for your reply. That is so great that they did it for free. I've had my camera for about two years now, but I take great care of it, so I guess I will just have to see what they can do for me. Perhaps I'll try writing a letter since that worked for you, worth a shot. 

Thanks again, glad everything worked out for you!

One last thing: you wouldn't happen to still have the address to which you mailed your letter, would you?

Thanks again!

hi janglin

i saw your post and i would like to request a copy of your letter you sent to canon.  i am in the same boat and i know it is the board that is needing repair.  i think this should be a recall issue.

please email me at [MOD NOTE: email address removed per FORUM GUIDELINES]

thank you

About $375.00+ thru Canon. Main cpu board seem to be the problem. Waiting on mine to return from Canon. Dissappointed since the camera is less than 2 years old with modorate usuage. Did have the extended waranty.

Had a similar problem with my EOS 50D (Err30) and repair bill about the same.

Announcements