cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D Shutter Replacement

Jaw3000
Apprentice

My two year old 70D shutter recently developed an issue and I believe needs replacement. When opening the mirror, you can see a piece of the shutter mechanism hanging down and not properly retracting, and there is a bright over exposed portion on all images. For background, my shutter count is 75,600, yet the camera is appernetly rated for 100,000. Does anyone know what a replacement shutter for the 70D typically costs, and whether the work from Canon is warrantied in any way? I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting this fixed, or upgrading cameras or switching ecosystems as I don't have a lot invested in Canon, and this isn't the first issue I've had with the 70D (among other models) in recent years that makes me question Canon's quality control. The first brand new 70D I purchased (and subsequently returned) had an oily substance on the sensor, which reflected as spots in all images - so I'm also worried about whether the shutter service could damage the sensor/mirror or introduce similar spots. A previous 30D I had was ruined by sensor spots that couldn't be cleaned away, so I'm very sensitive to this issue. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Contact Canon support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Generally speaking, a shutter replacement isn't all that expensive, compared to other serious repairs that a camera can need. And my experience is that once a Canon shop works on a camera, it comes back pretty much as good as new.

That said, it's also the case that in the past few years we've probably seen as many complaints about the 70D as about the rest of Canon's product line put together. So if you were to decide that it's time to upgrade to, say, an 80D, I guess I wouldn't blame you. That's especially true if you shoot a lot of video, since many of the 70D's problems appear to result from overheating. But if I were in your shoes, I think I'd be inclined to get the camera fixed.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I will guess $300 to $350 for a shutter.  And, yes, all Canon service is warranted.  A 70D isn't that old of a model and well worth a shutter.  Shutters are not that big a deal to replace if Canon does it.

The 100,000 life span is meaningless. It is an average.  Some shutters will fail after a 100 clicks.  Some will go the 100,000. And, some will go 500,000.   I have a few friends that have 500,000 or close to it on their 1 series cameras.  No issues!

I probably have 100,000+ on each of my three 1 series cameras I currently have.  They haven't been back to CPS for a C&C and shutter count for a while now.  Where, BTW, is the only way to get thee true accurate number.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements