cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7 D Mark II GPS won't acquire satellites even when positioned right next to 6 D which has. Any idea

pfazio
Apprentice

Any ideas?  I'm on a ship in Alaska which has very poor internet service.  Thannks

2 REPLIES 2

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Is this the first time you've activated the GPS since aboard the ship?

It can take several minutes for a GPS to acquire it's position fix and there are numerous reasons for this.  If a GPS previously had a location fix, is powered off, then powered back on while still at (or close to) the last known location, they generally get a fix fairly soon (within a minute or two).   But if they are moved by a substantial distance, it can take 5 or more minutes to get a fix (it can also take a while if they haven't been powered on for quite some time.)

You can go into the GPS menu on the camera to view more data while the GPS is attempting to get a position fix.    A clear, unobstructed view of the sky will help it get a fix sooner.  Once it has a fix, it will tend to maintain it even with a partially obstructed view.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks, Tim, but I've never been able to get it to work.  I live in an apartment building in the city and thought that might be it, but out in the middle of Alaska it didn't acquire either even when the 6D did so I guesss it's defective and I'll contact Canon repair when I get home.

Announcements