Canon Community Canon Community

tma
New Contributor

6DmII and field monitor via HDMI

I need external 7" HDMI monitor to 6D Mark II for two completely independent cases:

1) to see scene when filming with gimbal

2) to get short movie of athlete training and reply it immediately to correct mistakes. Note: I dislike using notebook (i.e.to connect via USB) in outdoor.

But when HDMI is connected and camera then internal monitor is switched off in both cases. Even I understand there might be no power to drive both LCDs, the main problem is that also touch screen control is switched off. It means I cannot touch focus point (even blind touch is better than nothing) in the first case. When is in camera mode then touch screen works even with HDMI.

And for play mode I can control it only with buttons. The replay control is exceptionally non-ergonomic, does not support fast-forward or active slidebar (I even did not find it in touchscreen). I did not find any custom function to improve it as well. I believe there is also bug that in "cut mode" the set start/end buttons are not controllable via button.

I see menu opttion to control camera via HDMI (CEC ??? standard). 

1. Does exist a way how to select autofocus point beyond touch screen (movie) ?
  2. How to quickly move in time when re-play recorded movie ?
  3. What function can be controlled with HDMI on camera? Does a low-cost field display support it ?
  4. Is HDMI problem reveals on 6D only and 5DmIV has no issue with it (i.e. bug in firmware vs. intentionally "crippled" functionality of cheaper model) ?

Thanks in advance