cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Markii auto-focus issues

Namra38
Contributor
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might have any insight in an issue I have been having with a 6Dmii that I purchased at the end of August. I have been a long time Canon user and previously was using the Canon 6D as my main body (still have it). When I upgraded to the Markii I was excited for the fast frame rate and focus points. However, every lens that I use on the new body needs to be micro-adjusted, and not just by 2-3 clicks, it is requiring a negative 9-11 adjustment for each lens which I would consider excessive. All the same lenses work perfect with no adjustments needed on my old 6D body.

List of lenses:
Tamron 24-70f2.8
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 (Mark i)
Sigma Art 50mm f1.4

I have used online micro-adjustment tutorials to adjust each lens and am still noticing very slow speeds in AI Servo mode. My 6D has a much higher percentage of in-focus images with a subject that is moving quickly towards the camera. The Markii has been very frustrating to use, especially when I have the Marki that I have had no issues with that I can compare side by side.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
41 REPLIES 41

@AndreaW wrote:

I am having that exact same focusing issue.  I am also having issues with my photos looking fuzzy.  I purchased my 6D Mark II at B&H in New York City.  I am very disappointed in Canon and wish they would issue a recall on this model.

Have you tried to contact Canon or B&H about your issue?  Canon would be best, because they could tell you to ship to them, or to return it B&H.  If you feel Canon should issue a recall, then that is all the more reason to contact Canon.  If you have registered the camera warranty, then that is another reason to contact Canon directly. 

In your other post, you said Canon should do something about this issue.  What do you suggest that Canon should do about cameras that have already shipped from the factory?

BTW, what lens are you using when the camera issues appear?  What are you trying to photograph?  What shooting and focusing modes are you using?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Do you work for Canon?

@AndreaW wrote:

Do you work for Canon?

Nope.  I am just a camera geek.

richelleb
Contributor
So glad to hear this!! Do you mind me asking when your purchased your first and where from? I’m praying my THIRD body is the charm

Purchased first one just before Thanksgiving and the second one at the beginning of February - both from Beach Camera.

Good luck!!

nathanp950
Apprentice
So an update, I sent mine in for service and it was likely because the model lens I was using was made in 2001, so it had "2001 quality". They couldn't do anything about that but I also had my camera calibrated by them and used a new 50mm f1.4 lens on it with no issues. Depending what issues you have, I'd suggest the same. Send it for an inspection through the website here. Good luck

I've purchased one and the official (warranty) repair people from my hometown said it's working properly so I sold it for 900euros and bought a new one.

I am having the same problem.

Microadjustement is not helping cause the sensors are just simply **bleep**ing **bleep**ed.
I left it at the repair shop so I can get a statment of a faulty camera so I can get a new one I HOPE, I don't want to lose money again.

It's a **bleep**ing awesome camera but these autofocus problems are unbearable.

Extremely disappointed in canon, they should refurbish all the faulty ones free of charge, this ain't fair.

That's horrible!  At some point Canon is going to have to acknowledge this issue and do something about it.  Or, they will run the risk of receiving bad press on their products and eventually lose loyal customers. 

Namra38
Contributor
When I got mine back from Canon after repairs they said there was a problem with the autofocus system and that they fixed it. The camera now works great with my only Canon lens -the Canon 100-400L Mark I , all non canon lenses need to still be micro adjusted at crazy amounts for usable photos. I still have my original 6D and have no issues with my other lenses on that body but my Sigma 50mm 1.4 art lens, and tamron 24-70 f2.8 and tamron 70-200f2.8 all have the same issue which is still very frustrating. First time I have ever had an issue with a Canon body in the 10 years I’ve been shooting with different Canon bodies.

@Namra38 wrote:
When I got mine back from Canon after repairs they said there was a problem with the autofocus system and that they fixed it. The camera now works great with my only Canon lens -the Canon 100-400L Mark I , all non canon lenses need to still be micro adjusted at crazy amounts for usable photos. I still have my original 6D and have no issues with my other lenses on that body but my Sigma 50mm 1.4 art lens, and tamron 24-70 f2.8 and tamron 70-200f2.8 all have the same issue which is still very frustrating. First time I have ever had an issue with a Canon body in the 10 years I’ve been shooting with different Canon bodies.

I would check the Sigma for a firmware update for newer camera bodies like the 6D2.  

As for the Tamrons, what is the issue that you are having?  Front or Back Focusing?  You can do an AFMA adjustment on a per lens basis.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=7zE50jCUPhM

I recommend the Dot-Tune method.  It is an objective approach to a very subjective issue.  Just remember, the devil is in the details.  If you are meticulous in your methods, you will usually be rewarded with great results.  It actually takes a little practice to be able to do an AFMA well.

Announcements