Canon Community Canon Community

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 6D Mark ii- Are the owners satisfied? I backed away from it based on the bad internet reviews..

ebiggs1 wrote:

If you want a 6D Mk II with grip it is great.

Well said, and the operative word is "If".

When making such a decision, it's worth noting that one of the most effective ways to make a camera no longer fit into your camera bag is to mount a battery grip on it.

I found that I was much more likely to have to change flash batteries than a camera battery during a shoot. So if you're willing to add that much size and weight, I think a belt-mounted battery pack to power your flash can be a lot more useful than a grip.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Honored Contributor

Re: 6D Mark ii- Are the owners satisfied? I backed away from it based on the bad internet reviews..

RobertTheFat wrote:

ebiggs1 wrote:

If you want a 6D Mk II with grip it is great.

Well said, and the operative word is "If".

When making such a decision, it's worth noting that one of the most effective ways to make a camera no longer fit into your camera bag is to mount a battery grip on it.

I found that I was much more likely to have to change flash batteries than a camera battery during a shoot. So if you're willing to add that much size and weight, I think a belt-mounted battery pack to power your flash can be a lot more useful than a grip.

That is true.  I discovered that fact after buying a grip, that I needed a new back pack.  But, only because I could no longer fit the camera in the bag with a lens still attached.  Besides, I needed a bigger bag, anyway, to hold s lens like the 70-200 f/2.8 and the 100-400 “L”.

I think the battery grip gives the camera better balance.  I’d rather not have to change batteries in the field.  i would much rather be able to fire off 1500-2000 shots, and still have plenty of charge left.  Having the beefier battery also gives the camera better control of the focusing motors in the lens.  That’s just a fact of Ohm’s Law. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."