Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: 6D Mark ii- Are the owners satisfied? I backed away from it based on the bad internet reviews..

I find the Canon 80D at $999 and the 6DMark II is $1699, which is 70%.  I was looking at the 6DMarkII, so please don't burst my bubble.  

Honored Contributor

Re: 6D Mark ii- Are the owners satisfied? I backed away from it based on the bad internet reviews..

Pancho wrote:

I find the Canon 80D at $999 and the 6DMark II is $1699, which is 70%.  I was looking at the 6DMarkII, so please don't burst my bubble.  

If you can get the current deal being offered in many places that gives you a battery grip at that price.... GO FOR IT.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Honored Contributor

ebiggs1 wrote:

"Nothing could be more misleading.  Putting a 50mm f/1.8 lens on an APS-C body will give you a very different AOV and DOF compared to putting that same 50mm f/1.8 lens on a FF body."

Oh, is that so?  Not !  A 50mm lens on a cropper is a different animal than it is on a FF. It now has the equivalent focal length of an 80mm and the same AOV or DOF.  This is basic, you should have learned that a long time ago.

Yeah, I know.  That was my original point.  “I like the wider AOV and shallower DOF from a FF sensor.”  Or something like that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
VIP

"In this case it is you that is incorrect."

Next time put your glasses on before you post.

" It now has the equivalent focal length of an 80mm and the same AOV or DOF."

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
VIP

"Again I'm afraid you are not correct. Equivalent means equal."

Yes it does mean 'equal'.  But it menas it is equal to the longer focal length.  Not the printed focal length.

"I've been through this too many times in the past..."

I have no problem believing that!  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bryston3bsst wrote:

Again I'm afraid you are not correct. Equivalent means equal.

Last I checked 50, in no way, shape or form is ever equal to 80.

A 50 mm lens on a crop or a FF is still 50mm. A crop body gives it a narrower angle of view, not an increased focal length. Clearly you didn't read the article I posted a reference to....or anything in regard to what differences a crop body makes.

But, that's ok......I've been through this too many times in the past and I've found that once someone gets this notion in their head it is nearly impossible to change. I would post additional reference for you to read but I know you won't as you already have this falsehood engrained to be a truth.

So, you enjoy laboring under your misconception. Because I'm sure, in your head, you know you are right.

I don't think I subscribe to your definition of "equivalent", but that hardly matters. In this context equivalence refers to the coverage that a given lens would give you on a different type of camera. The only time I've found it necessary to worry about such equivalence is when I'm using two cameras, one full-frame and the other APS-C, in order to compute the gap or overlap in the coverage provided by the two camera/lens combinations. Otherwise I find that I'm much better off thinking only about the behavior of a lens on the camera on which I'm using it, not on some other camera.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
VIP

" ... I'm much better off thinking only about the behavior of a lens on the camera on which I'm using it, not on some other camera."

Totally agree Robert.  One of my photography pet peeves is the whole crop sensor debacle.  I wish the term crop sensor had never been coined. It is unnecessary if you understand photography and the farther away we get from 35mm film, the less meaning it has.  You know a 5D Mk IV is a crop sensor if you compare it to a Hasselblad X1D-50c which is about 0.62.

VIP

"I'm done knocking my head into the wall."

Feels good when you stop. Doesn't it?  Smiley Very Happy

New Contributor

Canon is offering this free Battery Grip BG-E21with the Canon 6DMarkII for $1699, so you said go for it.  Is this a good deal?

VIP

If you want a 6D Mk II with grip it is great.