cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Mark ii- Are the owners satisfied? I backed away from it based on the bad internet reviews....

secondlevel
Enthusiast

I backed away from buying the new 6D Mark ii based on all the negative reviews that it received.  However, yesterday I saw the DXO scores and the camera did ok.  That made me start to wonder if I was missing something. Can really produce a usable image at ISO 40,000?

I currenly own a 60D, 77D, and the original 6D.  I feel I have most situations that I encounter covered with these models.  Nevertheless, with the cost down on it and I already have lens and flashes I wonder  about it.  I would only need the body.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Everyone has their own standards, experiences and opinions.  I have decades of experience with Canon, and am a former T6s owner.  An enthusiast who does not rely on his camera to put food on the table. 

6d2, my reasons for purchase.  I was looking to move up to FF and a 5dMKx wasn't in the cards.  Not because of the price, but because it doesn't have a articulating screen.  Silly, I know.  This is a feature I really enjoy and I hope it happens by the time I'm ready to step up again.  Maybe it never will on a true pro body?   

I read the same reviews as you.  They gave me pause, but I continued to research. I didn't want to invest in a older 6d.  (Which I fully acknowledge is a great camera)   After more research, I bought the body.  Its fantastic.  As mentioned, we all have different expectations.  It checked the majority of boxes for me and got me to FF at a reasonable price point, improving on what I had and meeting the criteria I had for upgrade.  The 6d2 is an improvement over the 6d.  Canon has improved almost every aspect of the original platform.  For someone coming from APS-C, its a nice upgrade.  The upgraded AF alone helped to sell me.

However, for someone who already owns a entry level FF, the feature set and modest upgrades of the 6d2 might not feel like a big step up, or justify the cost for the value being received.  This depends on the user and his/hers expectations.  Also the intended use of the camera.

The camera has already been to Europe with me, a few weddings (as a guest) and to family celebrations.  Used under various shooting conditions, weather and more.  Its perfomed well and I really like it.  When my casual snaps at my niece's wedding came back better than their professional photographers...  I felt even better.  He had a 6d with a Sigma Art lens.  I had a 6d2 with the same lens.  He looked like he knew what he was doing.  But my images are the ones the family wants to frame.  It was a bit of luck coupled with a great body and my modest (non professional) experience.  And lets not forget that Sigma lens which I love as well.  I still classify myself as an enthusiast.  I'm unloading my crop equipment.  Had 2 great years with it.  Body is gone, have some lenses left that will eventually go to good homes. Its a hobby, I just need one good body and the 6d2 is it for now.      

Side by side, the body is an improvement from the original.  But will it give you the true bump in performnace is something only you can probably answer.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

72 REPLIES 72

I find the Canon 80D at $999 and the 6DMark II is $1699, which is 70%.  I was looking at the 6DMarkII, so please don't burst my bubble.  

@Pancho wrote:

I find the Canon 80D at $999 and the 6DMark II is $1699, which is 70%.  I was looking at the 6DMarkII, so please don't burst my bubble.  

If you can get the current deal being offered in many places that gives you a battery grip at that price.... GO FOR IT.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Canon is offering this free Battery Grip BG-E21with the Canon 6DMarkII for $1699, so you said go for it.  Is this a good deal?

If you want a 6D Mk II with grip it is great.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1 wrote:

Well said, and the operative word is "If".

When making such a decision, it's worth noting that one of the most effective ways to make a camera no longer fit into your camera bag is to mount a battery grip on it.

I found that I was much more likely to have to change flash batteries than a camera battery during a shoot. So if you're willing to add that much size and weight, I think a belt-mounted battery pack to power your flash can be a lot more useful than a grip.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Well said, and the operative word is "If".

When making such a decision, it's worth noting that one of the most effective ways to make a camera no longer fit into your camera bag is to mount a battery grip on it.

I found that I was much more likely to have to change flash batteries than a camera battery during a shoot. So if you're willing to add that much size and weight, I think a belt-mounted battery pack to power your flash can be a lot more useful than a grip.

That is true.  I discovered that fact after buying a grip, that I needed a new back pack.  But, only because I could no longer fit the camera in the bag with a lens still attached.  Besides, I needed a bigger bag, anyway, to hold s lens like the 70-200 f/2.8 and the 100-400 “L”.

I think the battery grip gives the camera better balance.  I’d rather not have to change batteries in the field.  i would much rather be able to fire off 1500-2000 shots, and still have plenty of charge left.  Having the beefier battery also gives the camera better control of the focusing motors in the lens.  That’s just a fact of Ohm’s Law. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Here is a thought, buy the 80D and the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 Art DC HSM Lens for Canon.  About the same money as just a 6D Mk II, then bring on any 6D Mk II challenge!

EB

secondlevel
Enthusiast
It appears that there is a strong feeling that FF doesn’t overwhelm crop sensors in image quality anymore. I agree that the sensor used in the 80D is a dramatic improvement. But my main concern is being able to handle low light and high ISO.

secondlevel wrote:
It appears that there is a strong feeling that FF doesn’t overwhelm crop sensors in image quality anymore. I agree that the sensor used in the 80D is a dramatic improvement. But my main concern is being able to handle low light and high ISO.

These days Ernie Biggs appears to profess that "strong feeling". The rest of us, maybe not so much. Ernie has a lot more experience than I do; maybe he's right.

The informed consensus is that the 6D was as good a low-light camera as Canon had ever produced. Presumably one can expect similar performance from the 6D2.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"my main concern is being able to handle low light and high ISO."

Most tests, beside my own observation which I already said was minimal, show the most you can hope for is a 1 stop advantage.  If that 1 stop is number one on your must have list you need to buy the 6D Mk II.  Also remember that 1 stop does not mean the 80D images produced are not good and unusable.  They totally are and most people will not be able to tell the difference.  That tell-tale difference is in 100% crop comparisons.

It's your money spend it as you see fit.  But don't kid or fool yourself in thinking all will be rosey in low light because you bought a FF body.

EB
Announcements