cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Mark ii- Are the owners satisfied? I backed away from it based on the bad internet reviews....

secondlevel
Enthusiast

I backed away from buying the new 6D Mark ii based on all the negative reviews that it received.  However, yesterday I saw the DXO scores and the camera did ok.  That made me start to wonder if I was missing something. Can really produce a usable image at ISO 40,000?

I currenly own a 60D, 77D, and the original 6D.  I feel I have most situations that I encounter covered with these models.  Nevertheless, with the cost down on it and I already have lens and flashes I wonder  about it.  I would only need the body.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Everyone has their own standards, experiences and opinions.  I have decades of experience with Canon, and am a former T6s owner.  An enthusiast who does not rely on his camera to put food on the table. 

6d2, my reasons for purchase.  I was looking to move up to FF and a 5dMKx wasn't in the cards.  Not because of the price, but because it doesn't have a articulating screen.  Silly, I know.  This is a feature I really enjoy and I hope it happens by the time I'm ready to step up again.  Maybe it never will on a true pro body?   

I read the same reviews as you.  They gave me pause, but I continued to research. I didn't want to invest in a older 6d.  (Which I fully acknowledge is a great camera)   After more research, I bought the body.  Its fantastic.  As mentioned, we all have different expectations.  It checked the majority of boxes for me and got me to FF at a reasonable price point, improving on what I had and meeting the criteria I had for upgrade.  The 6d2 is an improvement over the 6d.  Canon has improved almost every aspect of the original platform.  For someone coming from APS-C, its a nice upgrade.  The upgraded AF alone helped to sell me.

However, for someone who already owns a entry level FF, the feature set and modest upgrades of the 6d2 might not feel like a big step up, or justify the cost for the value being received.  This depends on the user and his/hers expectations.  Also the intended use of the camera.

The camera has already been to Europe with me, a few weddings (as a guest) and to family celebrations.  Used under various shooting conditions, weather and more.  Its perfomed well and I really like it.  When my casual snaps at my niece's wedding came back better than their professional photographers...  I felt even better.  He had a 6d with a Sigma Art lens.  I had a 6d2 with the same lens.  He looked like he knew what he was doing.  But my images are the ones the family wants to frame.  It was a bit of luck coupled with a great body and my modest (non professional) experience.  And lets not forget that Sigma lens which I love as well.  I still classify myself as an enthusiast.  I'm unloading my crop equipment.  Had 2 great years with it.  Body is gone, have some lenses left that will eventually go to good homes. Its a hobby, I just need one good body and the 6d2 is it for now.      

Side by side, the body is an improvement from the original.  But will it give you the true bump in performnace is something only you can probably answer.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

72 REPLIES 72

ebiggs1 wrote:

Robert, "The term "in this class" hardly applies."

Sure it does.  They are both enthusiasts bodies.  The 80D offering more with the one exception of a larger sensor.  But you are one of those guys that thinks the Sun and Moon sets on FF so this is likely lost on you.

You keep trying to paint me with that brush. But of the seven functioning digital cameras in this house (there were eight, but I gave one to my daughter last week), only one is a FF. How does that square with your perception of me?

Basically, you're blaming me for recognizing the difference between a FF camera and an APS-C camera. Am I supposed to be blind to that difference?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"The camera has a handful of significant improvements."

Perhaps a toddles handful.  Certainly not enough to make a current 6D owner want it or buy it.  Not have a 6D it is a good starter FF.  However if I were to buy something in this class it would be the 80D, not a 6D2.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion.  The 6D Mark II is not for you.  I compared the 5D3, 5D4, and 6D2.

Curiously, there is more than one forum member who owns a 6D and did exactly that, bought a 6D2.  Maybe, once you upgrade to a full frame camera body, then you are less inclined to purchase an APS-C sensor body.  It's kind of like once you go 1 Series, you don't look back.

I think the "toddles handful" of improvements are pretty good, IMHO, of course.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

Waddizzle is seems like the 6D Mk II has some of the features of Canon's Digital Lens Optimizer built-in. This Canon article implies that it can add those to the RAW file. I was hoping you could test that and let us know if that is the case. 

EOS 6D Mark II for Landscape Photography

Having MAJOR issues running DPP 4.7.2.  It keeps crashing, anytime I do something that caues it to write to disk, generating a JPEG, saving edits, or even updating preferences.  My Windows 10 recently applied some updates, as well as some firmware updates from Dell. 

Apparently, this recent Win10 update, from October, has disrupted a LOT of applications, so I am going to assume my issues are with the update, and not so much with DPP 4.7.2 which was released at about the same time.

BUT, I did manage to squeeze out a screen shot from DPP.  I'm still trying to figure out how to do a screen shot of the camera.  Notice the settings for RAW images only..  

There are extra settings in the Camera [RED 1] menus, under the "Lens Aberration Correction" menu, to correct Distortion and Diffraction, in addition to Peripheral Illumination and Chromatic Aberration adjustments.'

There are extra settlings in the Camera [RED 3] menus, under the "Picture Style" menu, to make the style settings, which now include enhanced Sharpness settings.  Each Picture Style has its' own set of settings.

It seems DPP allows you to apply your own Picture Style to a RAW file, if you desire, just as you always could.  The Picture Style settings have an enhanced Sharpness settling, that is similar to an "Unsharp Mask", instead of a single slider.

I wasn't talking  about adding Canon's Digital Lens Optimizer (DLO) in DPP, you've been able to do that for years. What the article implies is that the 6D Mk II will bake DLO processing into the RAW file. This would be pretty significant as you could add DLO processing at the time of capture and still process your photos in Lightroom.

EDIT: For those not familiar with what DLO is supposed to do.

dlo.JPG

Principle of the Digital Lens Optimizer
After passing the lens and various filters, the light has diverted from the ideal condition as it reaches the image sensor where the image will be formed. This is due to the influence of factors such as aberrations, diffraction, and the low-pass filter. If these influences can be compensated for using highly precise and specific data, the result ideally would be the original and optimal image. This is the unique principle behind the Digital Lens Optimizer. Factors contributing to optical image deterioration as the light passes through the lenses and filters in the camera were identified and converted into mathematical functions (optical transfer functions (OTF)). By applying the inverse functions to the captured image, the state of the light (image quality) can be returned to approach the state that the incident light had before entering the camera.
The factors such as aberrations, diffraction, and low-pass filter influence differ for different lenses and cameras, and they also are dependent on shooting parameters. The Digital Lens Optimizer therefore uses inverse functions that are carefully optimized and based on precise data. This makes it possible to compensate even for complex and asymmetric aberrations such as coma.

I need to re-read this thread.  I looked at the referenced article, but haven't looked on my camera menu's yet to see the settings you guys are discussing which I'm sure I'll have, running the latest FW.

I uninstalled DPP 4.6.3 and installed 4.7.2 today.  I just batch processed about 100 photos with a recipie, then used convert and save to JPG at about 1/2 max rez.  I didn't have any issues.

My machine specs:

Gigabyte MB Z97X-UD5H\Corsair RM850w, 4790K, 16GB Vengeance, GTX970 FTW SC 4GB ACX 2.0, 850 Pro's RAID0 (boot), Black 1TB, Win10 Pro, Obsidian 450D - 1709 Fall Creators Update

For those having issues, you can use System Restore to go back to an earlier date, point in time prior to having issues.  This will resolve any recent conflicts you might have had with a windows update.  I would refrain from going back to an earlier build of the OS. 

I am primarily a Windows user.  I have Mac experience as well, but don't care for them personally.  Since I didn't have a lot of previous expereince with upgrading DPP, EOS and Pic Style Editior, I decided to uninstall each first, restart and install the newest version cleanly.  I haven't plugged my camera into the PC since I did my FW update last week.  I typically use a card reader for transfers.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"For those having issues, you can use System Restore to go back to an earlier date, point in time prior to having issues.  This will resolve any recent conflicts you might have had with a windows update.  I would refrain from going back to an earlier build of the OS. "

I found some time to do a reinstall, and that fixed the problem.  Convert and saves of 20MP files takes a few seconds again.

Glad you figured it out. 

I re-read the article and thread, then went back and reviewed the settings on both menus in the camera.  The fine PIc Style was there.  The default styles are all editable, and the menu includes 3 custom options that can be configured from scratch.  I would still like it if I could use the EOS Utility to add non canon lens profiles to the camera for later use in DPP, but I know this will never happen.  I suppose this is why so many here use LR. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

"...the difference between a FF camera and an APS-C camera"

Robert,

Only when anyone seems to make it the sole reason to select one over the other.  If it is your goal is to have a FF, I suppose it is OK.  But when you choose it over the better choice just because it is FF, it is not. Some people, mostly because of the ole inner web, think if they only had a FF camera all their photographic issues would be solved.

THE REASON to buy a 6d2 over and 80D is FF, I don't think so. Of course that is IMHO as always.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Robert,

Only when anyone seems to make it the sole reason to select one over the other.  If it is your goal is to have a FF, I suppose it is OK.  But when you choose it over the better choice just because it is FF, it is not. Some people, mostly because of the ole inner web, think if they only had a FF camera all their photographic issues would be solved.

THE REASON to buy a 6d2 over and 80D is FF, I don't think so. Of course that is IMHO as always.

Why is an ASP-C EOS 80D better than a FF EOS 6D Mark II?  

I have used both.  The 80D is a very good camera, but so is the 6D Mark II.  With one exception, every feature found in the 80D can be found in the 6D Mark II, plus a few features that the 80D does not have.  AFAIK, the lone exception is maximum shutter speed: 1/8000 for the 80D; 1/4000 for the 6D2.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Robert,

Why is an ASP-C EOS 80D better than a FF EOS 6D Mark II?  

I have used both.  The 80D is a very good camera, but so is the 6D Mark II.  With one exception, every feature found in the 80D can be found in the 6D Mark II, plus a few features that the 80D does not have.  AFAIK, the lone exception is maximum shutter speed: 1/8000 for the 80D; 1/4000 for the 6D2.

One of the consequences of a FF camera it a larger frame size, which means the shutter blades have farther to travel. For a given power draw and/or spring loading, a faster shutter speed is achievable if the frame is smaller.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Why is an ASP-C EOS 80D better than a FF EOS 6D Mark II?"

Just for starters how about price?  See you guys that see FF first don't see the whole picture!  Sorry I know bad pun.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements