cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Mark II announced

John_SD
Whiz

Looks like the rumors matched up pretty well with the announcement today by Canon. I will seriously consider this camera, though I may wait for its already reasonable price of $1999 to drop some before making my purchase. For someone like me, who finds moving to full frame enticing, this camera will likely be it for me. 

And no, I couldn't care less that it is lacking 4K capture. I don't care about video in the slightest. 

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/29/canons-new-6d-mark-ii-looks-like-a-great-update-for-its-entry-full...

21 REPLIES 21

" I already have a crop-sensor camera and want to move beyond its limitations."

You will see the same limitations.  You are absolutely correct that it is a winner for the market it is intended for.  They will love it.

My comparison of the 80D is the features or lack thereof not the sensor which I believe could deliver better IQ with the choice of lenses.  Let's consider, if one decides to buy the 6D Mk II and the kit or "L" lens.  Example the 80D and the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens is likely going to exceed the 6D Mk II and the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens or the lesser EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens in most areas.  But this is just my opinion, if you get one I hope all the best to you.  I am sure it will be wonderful just fun to discuss it.  Can't wait to hear how you really like it.  It's just not my cup of tea.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You will see the same limitations...

It depends on how you define a "limitation" Canon's FF cameras have significantly better low-light performance than their crop cameras. If that matters to you, then moving to a 6D overcomes a limitation.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It depends on how you define a "limitation" Canon's FF cameras have significantly better low-light performance than their crop cameras. If that matters to you, then moving to a 6D overcomes a limitation.

Low-light performance is just one area where the full-frame camera is better in comparison to my T6. When I went to my local camera shop and tried out a few of the full-frame cameras on display I was floored by how much bigger and better the viewfinder is!  The wheels and buttons are laid out more logically too. On the 6D1 I looked at, I seem to recall an extra wheel that was very useful. Thus, one finger can easily change shutter speed, while your thumb can change aperature. All while keeping your eye in the viewfinder. Nice!  Couple that with an expanded photographic field of view and a noticeably shallower depth of field, and I was sold. No more crop sensor for me. It is just a matter of time before I move on to FF. 

@John_SD wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Low-light performance is just one area where the full-frame camera is better in comparison to my T6. When I went to my local camera shop and tried out a few of the full-frame cameras on display I was floored by how much bigger and better the viewfinder is!  The wheels and buttons are laid out more logically too. On the 6D1 I looked at, I seem to recall an extra wheel that was very useful. Thus, one finger can easily change shutter speed, while your thumb can change aperature. All while keeping your eye in the viewfinder. Nice!  Couple that with an expanded photographic field of view and a noticeably shallower depth of field, and I was sold. No more crop sensor for me. It is just a matter of time before I move on to FF. 

You're comparing two extremes there. Canon's high-end crop cameras are much more similar to their FF counterparts than they are to your T6. The controls on a 7D Mk II are substantially identical to those on a 5D Mk III. And the viewfinder in your T6, like that in all Rebels, uses mirrors, while the viewfinders in the higher-end crop cameras use a prism.

I'm not trying to discourage you from going FF. I'm just pointing out that the effective differences between FF and crop cameras aren't as great as you may think.

Last summer my wife and I were out on my cousin's sailboat. At one point while I was steering, my wife, who had been sitting next to me before I took the wheel, accidentally took a series of pictures with my 5D3, thinking it was her 7D2.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"...full-frame camera is better in comparison to my T6"

You can't compare a Rebel, plus an entry level Rebel at that, to a 6D or 80D.

EB

"No more crop sensor for me."

That is fine. Smiley Happy  I agree but do it for the right reasons.  The correct factual reasons.

EB

" It is just a matter of time before I move on to FF. "

People like you that are buying their first FF camera are going to love the 6D Mk II, no doubt.  Even people that are upgrading from the current 6D are going to love it, no doubt.

I don't see pros liking it.  I don't see advanced amateurs liking it either. The brand-N D750 has nearly the same specs and came out three years ago!  And, it is a couple hundred bucks less money.

EB

"...FF cameras have significantly better low-light performance than their crop cameras."

Robert pay attention!

Quote;

" Example the 80D and the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens is likely going to exceed the 6D Mk II and the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens or the lesser EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens in most areas."

The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens is a constant aperture f1.8.  I don't care what FF you get, you can't give up that much aperture. Going form f1.8 to a f4 or the lesser choice of the f3.5-5.6, c'mon on.  Choice of lenses can make the 80D equal to or perhaps better than the 6D Mk II and certainly better that the current 6D.  Once again the choice to upgrade may be a better lens than a better body.

Let's see if memory serves me, the review I read said the 6D Mk II will be two grand and three grand with the better EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens.  The 80D is $1100 and the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens is $800, or $1900 total and you may have a better outfit.  JMHO and two cents worth, as always.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I just looked at the specs.  I didn't care for the 6D and I don't think I will like the 6D Mk II much more.  It is a FF 80D from what I can tell.  What's with only one SD slot Canon? It remains an entry level camera.

I agree, that it is a FF version of the 80D, and pricey one at that.  If it had a second slot, why would people buy a 5D?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"If it had a second slot, why would people buy a 5D?"

Great point and I am sure Canon knows better than to give the farm away on an entry level camera.  Pros will not like the single SD slot.  Just sayin'!

Hey, I am not saying it isn't a capable camera for the market it is intended for.  It, or the 6D, is just not for me.

EB
Announcements