cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D MKII a disappointment???

skyking
Contributor

I did order the 6D MKII from B&H - arrives Monday. This is an upgrade from my 6D. I am a little concerned about the recent tests showing, at lower ISO's, poorer dynamic range. Apparently the 6D MKII showed very good dynamic range at higher ISO's. Apparently the 80D had better dynamic range at lower ISO"s then the 6D MKII. I'll know a lot better when I get the camera but is that is the truth its a little disappointing for what I'm paying for this camera.

Any comments??

James

108 REPLIES 108

@KlausEnrique wrote:

DPReview.JPG

It's been a while since I've been to Dynamic Range Review (dpreview.com). With their tabloid like headline 'Canon 6D Mark II dynamic range falls behind modern APS-C cameras' no wonder you're upset. There is no need to be.

It is well known that Canon has RAWer RAW files, that don't contain baked in noise reduction. It should also be abundantly apparent that other manufactures are baking processing into their RAW files. So comparing unprocessed RAW files becomes meaningless.

The loss of detail/softening on the D750 due to the baked in noise reduction is apparent in complex detail of the sponge.

baked in nr.JPG

With the Canon RAW file you have the option of applying the noise reduction or retaining the detail. Or with selective processing you can do both.

The below photo is the processed version of the Canon 6D Mk II +4 EV RAW file from above. I believe I was able to maintain more detail in the sponge while selectively applying noise reduction to areas without detail than Nikon did with their baked in processing.

IMG_0271.jpg

When Nikon bakes in their noise reduction they take that control away from you.

If that control is not important to you than sure go buy a Nikon or another manufacture's camera. If you want to be able to make the decisions in the post processing using Canon's RAWer RAW file, realize that control means that Canon won't look as good comparing Canon's RAWer RAW to Nikon's RAW, nor will Canon' score as well on 'the test'.

I's nice to see you have expanded from just collecting MTF charts. Smiley Surprised

"This is why I don't read DxO reviews."

I'm with you.  It is the last place I would ever go.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Worry if the camera does what you want and not how it scores on the 'tests'."

Wow, you are learning! I am impressed but this certainly is the right way to 'test' a camera.  Forget the reviews and so-called tests.  How it works for you in the field is what is important. Unless you intend to photograph test charts, that is!

EB

Thanks for your advice and you are 100% correct. I do think we get Carried away with what the "testing" says!!

Thanks again for some great advice!

James

I bought my new 6D MK II in December just before the price went down because I had waited almost two years for this model. Before buying I read all there was to read about the 6D MK II, it did seem a bit discouraging but I did go ahead and buy the camera anyway. Dynamic range seemed to be the big issue but since I owned several "L" series lenses  I had to stay with Canon but have no regrets in buying this new FF 6D MK II. I have far more money invested in lenes than in cameras.  The camera focuses accurately, takes great photos in all settings. The articulating screen is a feature I had with my APS camera which I really like. My new camera has great balance, is pretty light for a FF camera, works with all my lenses except for one Sigma which I thought was made for FF but is really designed for APS cameras. Franckly, I am totally enjoying my upgrade! It wasn't cheap, and I could've bought an older 5D Mk III for about the same price but I still have no regrets in buying my 6D Mark II. All, and I mean ALL my photos are far superior to what I could do with my APS-C Canon cameras. Its a definit keeper for my weddings, church functions, landscapes, wildlife, protraits and other jobs I do. Not perfect but very very good though I'd swap the bluetooth, Wifi, and GPS for a built in flash, better dynamic range and a wider focus system. Other technical improvments are definietly worth it in terms of photo quality.

"I still have no regrets in buying my 6D Mark II"

And, that, is all that matters.  If you are happy with it, fantastic.  Smiley Very Happy

Go shoot some memories!

EB

derekmccoy
Apprentice
I've got a 6D which gets a lot of use. I was hopeful for the upgrade but after seeing the DR issues, I'm gonna hold off. Switching to Fuji seems is really tempting now.

Have you received the 6D2? It would be interesting to see identical RAW files from it and your 6D to compare. From some of the RAW files I've seen from dpreview, it also seems to have banding, which the 6D didn't suffer from.
It is a disappointment though, considering the 80D and 5D4 were on the right track with DR.
I think Canon is trying to push users who are in the know to spend the extra dough for a 5D4 and leave the 6D2 for less informed amateurs, but all they're doing is pissing us off and a lot have switched to Sony or Fuji.

I have not received the 6D. MKII yet. It arrives tomorrow (Monday). Like you I'm upgrading from my 6D. I don't want too switch to Sony Fuji, etc since I have so many EF and EFS Lens (I still have a T4I as another backup camera and used for some wild life shooting). I don't care about 4K as I have actual video cameras for that. I do agree that "testing" doesn't always tell the whole story. Make sure you read a couple of the earlier posts. We can get carried away sometimes especially with all the buzz is today is about "mirror-less" cameras. Every phtot pod cast I listen to tells you how much better a mirror-less camera is compared to a DSLR and of course thats not the truth.

BTW, I have been using, along with LR, On1 Raw's program. I am also messing with Affinity's Affinity Photo especially if Adobe starts to raise the subscription price.

At any rate I'll post something once I get the camera and try it out. I'm sure there will be a firmware update shortly after launch.

James 

derekmccoy
Apprentice
Rick Salmon is paid by Canon, or at the very least gets free kit. He will never criticise their products being a "Canon Explorer of Light", a title that gets him boat loads of business.

Only you can decide if the upgrade is worthwhile considering there will be no IQ improvement. Is the improved AF and tilt screen worth the cost of three 6D's?

Its clear Canon has knee capped the 6D2 on purpose and wants users in the know to spend the extra grand for a 5D4.

Who knows, maybe Canon releases a firmware update to match the 5D4 output. Considering it's a lower MP sensor than the 5D4 it should produce better DR and noise performance, just like the 6D did vs the 5D3, but it's no better than the 4 year old model it's replacing.

Rick Salmon? That is a very good point. I guess I would think the same for those photographers who are Ambassadors for Sony, Fuji, etc. I indicated above that I don't want to switch to Sony or Fuji due to all the EF and EFS lens I have. I would have loved to splurge for the 5DMK4 but it is out of my price range. My daughter has an older 60D and may get my 6D. I have a T4i that I use as a back up and for any wild life (gets great tele-photo shots with EF lens).

James

Announcements