cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D -Is an older Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8 L USM Lens compatible?

taranruther
Apprentice

I know the 6D is a new camera, and while it is a full frame camera and the lens I want is a full frame, it is too expensive too buy new. I wanted to get a used one, that's not the second generation, but just wanted to make sure it would work with my camera. 

Is anyone sure of this?

10 REPLIES 10

"It can more than make up for 1 stop if you are that tight."

By this I meant tight on light!  Not price.  A 1 stop advantage is helpful only if you are fixed at f2.8.  This, in real life use, is generally not the case.  Even indoors.  If you are stuck at f2.8 you are going to have more issues to deal with than lack of 1 stop. 

To address the better IQ of the 24-70mm over the 24-105mm is also not a great deal in real world situations.  Especially if you are stuck at f2.8.  Almost everybody makes a bigger deal out of f2.8 vs f4 than it actually is.

There is no denying the combo of the 24-70mm f2.8 along with the 70-200mm f2.8 is a great one.  In fact my very favorite and I use it almost all the time.

A better, no the best, choice is shooting RAW and use Lightroom and/or Photoshop.  If someone told me I could have nothing faster than f4 and use LR and PS or I could have f2.8 and never use LR or PS, it would be f4 all the time.  No question.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements