cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D -Is an older Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8 L USM Lens compatible?

taranruther
Apprentice

I know the 6D is a new camera, and while it is a full frame camera and the lens I want is a full frame, it is too expensive too buy new. I wanted to get a used one, that's not the second generation, but just wanted to make sure it would work with my camera. 

Is anyone sure of this?

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Yes it will. Any EF lens will work with your 6D.

Check the Canon estore for refurbished lenses.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I made a living using the ef 24-70mm f2.8L version 1 and I still use it.  Very good, very durable lens.  Perhaps a better choice for you is the 24-105mm f4L.  They are a "best buy" in the Canon pro line up.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

taranruther
Apprentice
Thank you guys! The more I look into it, the 24-105 is a sharper choice, even with its larger fstop. I will probably go with that one until I can save up for the second gen 24-70 2.8. It will be awhile.

I just need something that will better focus larger groups of people. My 85 is great, but is really only best for single person portraiture.

f2.8 to f4 is only one stop!

EB

I know but it still can make a big difference, at least from my limited experience. Plus the pictures I've browsed from the 24-70 2.8 ii are just stunning. It's that expensive for a reason. But enough with the money woo's.. 

I ended up buying the 24-105 mm for $500 on Ebay. I'm pretty stoked to have a wide angle zoom now!! 

You will love it.  It is a nice lens.

"I know but it still can make a big difference, ..."

A difference, yes,  a big difference?  Not really. A better deal is to make sure you shoot RAW.  It can more than make up for 1 stop if you are that tight.

EB

You can't really compare the MTF curves of two lenses that ha ve different focal ratios.  The chart is produced for "wide open". Stop down the 24-70 by a stop and it also becomes sharper.

The EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM is generally regarded as a better lens than the EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM.  The 24-105's advantages are that it has a bit more focal length on the long end and it has image stabilization.  But the 24-70 is a faster lens and a little better optically.

If a person were to only have a single lens, then the 24-105 is probably a better choice.  If a person is going to get a 70-200mm then the 24-70 makes a nice compliment because you've got the entire range from 24-200 covered by those lenses.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

You can't really compare the MTF curves of two lenses that ha ve different focal ratios.  The chart is produced for "wide open". Stop down the 24-70 by a stop and it also becomes sharper.

The EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM is generally regarded as a better lens than the EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM.  The 24-105's advantages are that it has a bit more focal length on the long end and it has image stabilization.  But the 24-70 is a faster lens and a little better optically.

If a person were to only have a single lens, then the 24-105 is probably a better choice.  If a person is going to get a 70-200mm then the 24-70 makes a nice compliment because you've got the entire range from 24-200 covered by those lenses.

You need to look at a lens's purpose when deciding whether or not to buy it. The 24-70 f/2.8 (I or II) is excellent as an indoor event lens. The extra stop is a big help indoors; and if, like many event photographers, you carry two cameras, it pairs very well (as Tim indicates) with the 70-200mm f/2.8. The 24-105, OTOH, is at its best as an outdoor "walking around" lens. It's smaller, lighter, and has greater reach; and outdoors the fact that it's a stop slower makes little difference. Actually, I once used my 24-105 to shoot an indoor event in poor light with no flash. But I was using a 5D Mark III, whose low-light capability is pretty good. The lens performed surprisingly well, but that's not what it's designed for.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

taranruther
Apprentice
Yes I do! I am tight because I'm a teacher who only does pictures on the side lol. I really do appreciate all your help. I will update once I get my lens!
Announcements