cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Got Wet and Buttons Go Crazy

cabacaro
Apprentice
Hello,

I was taking pictures on the beach with my 6D when a wave splashed some water on my camera. I didn't think anything of it and kept shooting for a few more minutes. Back in my air conditioned room, some of the buttons of the camera stopped workind. For example, pushing the playback button took me to live view.

I removed the battery and the SD card, left the latches opened, and put the camera in a plastic container with rice for two days. After two days, I took the camera out, put the battery and SD card back inside, and tried it. More buttons were working but the "Set" button didn't.

I put the camera back in the rice overnight. The next day, all buttons were working correctly until I took the camera outside to take some pictures and some of buttons started acting again. I am in Mexico in the state of Vercruz where it is very hot and humid outside.

After my last try, I dried the camera with a blow drier and put the camera in front of a fan. Thatt is what is happening right now.

What else do you recommend that I do? The camera works just fine inside the air conditioned bedroom but not outside.

Thanks,

Vincent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

My guess is that you got saltwater inside the camera on the circuit boards.

When it dries there is no conduction, but when you go outside the humidity condenses on the cold camera and the slat tracks become wet and conduct.

Canon might be able to clean it if you send it in for service.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

Newbie6D
Contributor
What do they do in Scotland with a Canon D6? #scotchmist

@Newbie6D wrote:
What do they do in Scotland with a Canon D6? #scotchmist

I cannot advise you on who to contact if you're living in Scotland.  Hopefully, your camera is not a total loss, and it just one circuit board.  It really depends upon the nature of the moisture, and whether or not the camera was powered up when it was wet, just how extensive the damage could be.

Make them feel sorry for you.  What have you got to lose?  From what you describe, the camera could be a total loss.  Maybe they'll give a discount on a new one for being a loyal customer.

Not even the top of the line DSLRs are totally "water proof".  They are "dust and moisture resistant."  Some models are more resistant that others.  It is safe to assume any camera is not moisture resistant, and treat it that way.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Newbie6D
Contributor
Yeah when you have a 6D and 5D with 1D the only others up its a hefty price to pay everytime you might get caught in a shower.
Im actually travelling through Europe for 3 months. I only need set a some social media accounts and waterfall the content through we ith videos on how piss week the 6D is in design.
Im in Australia. When I get back Ill take it to the camera shop.

Sorry but its 2017 and something breaks up in Florence after 6 weeks in this day and age is appaulling really. $3500 camera. Thats a joke.

I'm not certain if the 6D has a weather and dust sealed protection.  I know the 7D, 5D, and 1D series camera get weather sealed treatment to varying degrees as do some mid-range models.  

But the 6D is an entry full frame camera designed to keep the entry price a little lower.  

No Canon cameras are "waterproof".  They cannot be submerged ... the seals protect from splashes and moderate rain -- basically water that isn't under any pressure or force.  Body seams get gaskets.  Dials get o-rings.  But if you inspect the memory card and battery doors there are no serious water-tight seals.   Also, only some lenses have a weather sealing treatment and ALL of them are "L" series (red ring around the front of the lens).  Not all L lenses are weather sealed.  You would see a silicone gasket that mates with the lens mounting flange.  Zero non-L lenses are weather sealed.

Even with my scuba diving cameras and other electronics... which are aggressively sealed against water even at high pressure... everything must be troweled dry before opening any seals (I never changed the film without first drying the camera thoroughly).

If what is inside your camera actually is water and only water, then you can dry the interior by putting the camera in a sealed bag with desiccant packs to dry the air.  It may take several days.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Big mistake to turn on the camera or any electronic device while it is wet.  I know it is a natural act but waiting until it is completely dry is best.  It can take weeks for the interior to dry thoroughly. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Newbie6D
Contributor
I have 5 cameras, some of them a decade with no dramas. Sheesh I even fell in a pond with a G7 and not a drama.
This is a switch design issue or flaw.

Newbie6D
Contributor
Ill probably go back to the 350D and let Visa have it with shop.
Australia has warranty policies unlike other places in the world.

Newbie6D
Contributor
Ive just read about a guy who had beads of sweat drop on the set button which screwed the camera.

Newbie6D
Contributor
What a piece of crap. Now the function cap has fallen off.
I dont want my money back. But fore spreads faster than water.
Im in the middle of Europe with no function cap. Talk about **** up your holiday.
Announcements