cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Does Not Download GPS Files

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
I recently bought a 6D, and all was well. I noticed that the battery was draining itself rather quickly. Whenever I downloaded images I would be prompted about GPS log fles, which I accepted for download. After a week, I noticed that I had log files starting and ending whenever I removed the battery for charging and re-inserting it. I'd also noticed that some of the log files indicated that the camera was stationary, in my house to be exact. I quickly figured out tha the GPS was still active despite the camera being off, which I was able to confirm when I took a day trip to part for a photo shoot. The GPS log showed the camera traveling to the park and back. So, I disabled the GPS before I removed the battery for charging. I haven't been able to download a GPS file since, even if I do set GPS for the "Internal GPS" in the menu. The camera is running firmware v1.1.6. [how do you make paragraphs????]
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There is a seperate manual that came with your 6D which covers the WiFi and GPS functionality.  It's not in the main manual (some countries restrict use of WiFi or GPS - so Canon includes this documentation in a separate manual for countries where the camera includes WiFi & GPS functionality.)

There is an option to either enable or disable the log function.  With logging off, the images will be tagged, but the camera will not record a log of your movement.  

In the GPS menu, there's the option to either disable the GPS, or enable the internal or external GPS (i.e. the Canon GP-E2 GPS), but there's also a setup menu.  In the setup menu you'll see an option caled "GPS Logger".  The camera's GPS will only record the log file if that option is enabled.  ALSO, if instead of using USB to transfer images you are using the camera's SD card, the GPS log wont be on that card (even if logging is enabled) unless you return to that logging menu and use the option to "Transfer log to data card".

Also of interest... there is an option to change the GPS update interval.  I noticed the Canon doesn't mention the impact of this on battery life for the 6D, but I have a 5D III with the external Canon GP-E2 module and they DO mention how the update interval impacts battery life.   The default update interval is 15 seconds.  I set mine to 30 seconds since I'm typically walking when using the camera and I tend to find a spot with an interesting subject and remain there for some time while I shoot... I don't need the GPS to update my position very often.

As you've already discovered, if you "enable" the GPS, then it remains enabled at all times when the battery is in the camera -- even if the camera itself is "off".  There has been quite a bit of discussion on this and Canon seems to indicate that they did this because GPS can take a bit of time to acquire a position fix and they didn't want users to power off their camera for a moment (e.g. when changing lenses for example), power the camera back on, and then have no position data for a few minutes as they attempt to resume shooting.  I think the general concensus of the community is that the community wishes Canon would have configured a delay timer (e.g. don't power off right away -- that way simply switching off the camera to swap lenses wouldn't shut off the GPS, but do power off after some period of time -- perhaps 30 minutes.)  While that sounds like a reasonable solution, there has been no firmware update to change the way the camera & GPS manage power.

If you leave the GPS running and do not remove the battery, then you'll likely discover that the battery is depleted the following day.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

Okay.  I've paid more careful attention to what I do.  I have nailed down the exact reason why my GPS files would sometimes not download.  It was more than enabling the GPS logs.  The internal GPS needs to enabled at the time when you download images, in order for the logs to be also transferred.

My normal routine is to drive a couple of hours to location, shoot for a couple of hours, drive home, and then download the files.  I would turn off the GPS for the drive home.  I tried to download files, and was not prompted for GPS logs.  Disconnect camera, enable the internal GPS, reconnect camera, and BINGO.....I'm prompted for the GPS files when I download images.  Hope this helps somebody.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There is a seperate manual that came with your 6D which covers the WiFi and GPS functionality.  It's not in the main manual (some countries restrict use of WiFi or GPS - so Canon includes this documentation in a separate manual for countries where the camera includes WiFi & GPS functionality.)

There is an option to either enable or disable the log function.  With logging off, the images will be tagged, but the camera will not record a log of your movement.  

In the GPS menu, there's the option to either disable the GPS, or enable the internal or external GPS (i.e. the Canon GP-E2 GPS), but there's also a setup menu.  In the setup menu you'll see an option caled "GPS Logger".  The camera's GPS will only record the log file if that option is enabled.  ALSO, if instead of using USB to transfer images you are using the camera's SD card, the GPS log wont be on that card (even if logging is enabled) unless you return to that logging menu and use the option to "Transfer log to data card".

Also of interest... there is an option to change the GPS update interval.  I noticed the Canon doesn't mention the impact of this on battery life for the 6D, but I have a 5D III with the external Canon GP-E2 module and they DO mention how the update interval impacts battery life.   The default update interval is 15 seconds.  I set mine to 30 seconds since I'm typically walking when using the camera and I tend to find a spot with an interesting subject and remain there for some time while I shoot... I don't need the GPS to update my position very often.

As you've already discovered, if you "enable" the GPS, then it remains enabled at all times when the battery is in the camera -- even if the camera itself is "off".  There has been quite a bit of discussion on this and Canon seems to indicate that they did this because GPS can take a bit of time to acquire a position fix and they didn't want users to power off their camera for a moment (e.g. when changing lenses for example), power the camera back on, and then have no position data for a few minutes as they attempt to resume shooting.  I think the general concensus of the community is that the community wishes Canon would have configured a delay timer (e.g. don't power off right away -- that way simply switching off the camera to swap lenses wouldn't shut off the GPS, but do power off after some period of time -- perhaps 30 minutes.)  While that sounds like a reasonable solution, there has been no firmware update to change the way the camera & GPS manage power.

If you leave the GPS running and do not remove the battery, then you'll likely discover that the battery is depleted the following day.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I have used the GPS Setup menu, and have logging enabled. I'm just not being prompted anymore to download GPS logs when I download images from the camera. I can transfer the logs to the SD card, Sony 64GB, and then plug that into a PC and read them from there. I'll take another look at the GPS manual to see if I'm missing the elephant in the room.

I've got it working again. I don't have time to verify if what I changed was the issue. But, here's what I did. At some point in time, not sure exactly on what date, I created a second folder, 102, in the camera to store images. I have a few read-only images in the 101 folder, mostly white balance images: i.e. white balance of mercury vapor streetlamps; white balance image of those power saving indoor flourescent light bulbs. If I shoot a white balance on a shoot, I'll store in the 101 folder. I've been storing all of my images in the 102 folder. I switched back to storing images in the 101 folder, and the prompt to download GPS logs re-appeared. Like I said, I don't have time right now to verify if changing folders made a difference, but that's the only change that I've made. BTW, the GPS manual cautions about battery life on page "G-6".

After some experimenting with different folders, GPS enabled and disabled, I cannot reproduce the issue.  It's working as expected.  I suspect that I didn't notice the elephant n the room.  Thanks for the interest, folks.

Okay.  I've paid more careful attention to what I do.  I have nailed down the exact reason why my GPS files would sometimes not download.  It was more than enabling the GPS logs.  The internal GPS needs to enabled at the time when you download images, in order for the logs to be also transferred.

My normal routine is to drive a couple of hours to location, shoot for a couple of hours, drive home, and then download the files.  I would turn off the GPS for the drive home.  I tried to download files, and was not prompted for GPS logs.  Disconnect camera, enable the internal GPS, reconnect camera, and BINGO.....I'm prompted for the GPS files when I download images.  Hope this helps somebody.

Announcements