Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: 6D Auto Focus

" focus distance limiter"."  Not sure what that is.  Are you saying I was too close?  i've been closer to other objects with no issues (3-4ft)

Honored Contributor

greg_a wrote:

" focus distance limiter"."  Not sure what that is.  Are you saying I was too close?  i've been closer to other objects with no issues (3-4ft)

It is a switch on the lens.  Your distance from the bird is close enough to the transition distance to warrant using full range mode.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you are talking about the focus distance selector, I doubt very much that this is the problem. Even if set to 3m to infinity he should have focus lock as he was further than 3 meters away from the subject. I always have my 100-400 II set to the 3m to infinity position.

Greg, did you get a focus confirm before firing?

New Contributor

Ah, that switch.  I also always leave it set to 1.8m and never had an issue.

Yes, I did get confirmation (beep and lock) of focus.  If you've never used the Focus_point Lightroom plugin its pretty nice (first image).  As you can see from the plugin, the camera registered the focus lock too.

The "only" thing I can think of was the Aperature and depth of feild.  even at that, something should be in focus.

PS.  Great forum and thanks for all the suggestions.

,Greg

Frequent Contributor

Is this an isolated incident or is this something that happens a lot? Is this lens new to you? If it happens consistently then I would say the lens is not properly focus calibrated. If that were the case then I would think every picture would look just like this one.

I can't see any reason why this would have happened.....all that you did before firing seems right and, in theory, you should have gotten good results.

If it's something that happens often I would call Canon.