cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60d focus malfunction

Purestar7
Contributor

I have'nt been satisfied with the performance of my 60d with my slow zoom (Tamron 70-300mm sp vc) so just got a 200mm f/2.8 L...Although I have doubts about the new lens because it was previously opened and sold to me as new, this issue appears to be more likely a camera body malfunction. It doesn't happen all the time, nor at any one aperature. Basically the only common denominator is that it has seemed to occur when i first turn on the camera. The image comes out completely blurry, as if i'm walking with no AF and trying to take a picture at a slow shutter speed. I have checked and verifed all setting (af on, camera behaves as if AF has been attained, shutter speed up, reset all camera functions. Etc,etc) I bought the camera in 2011, and looking for waranty info, so far I've not found anything.

Has  anyone got any ideas about what this might be?

2 REPLIES 2

diverhank
Authority

This sounds like a similar problem we just talked about regarding the 1DX.  Check your custom menu C.Fn III -1, Lens Drive When AF Impossible.  The option should be set to 0 (zero) or to whichever option that allows the camera to continue AF.

If you set to turn it off when AF impossible...your AF will stop working when the focus drives to a place closer than your lens minimum focus distance (MFD).  This is not impossible as suggested, when your subject comes too close, the AF will drive the lens past it then per your option setting, AF turns itself off, leaving you wondering what happened to your camera... Sometimes gravity would get the lens there or sometimes, if you were me, would absentmindedly turn the lens focus ring there...

Bottom line, whatever the option setting is, it is possible for AF to stall with supertelephoto lenses.  A little manual help or power off/on will solve it nicely.  Try the C.Fn III -1 then please let me know if that helps.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Actually I did reset all custom functions, see my other post on this issue for further details. I have dealt with slow focusing...can "shutter lag" cause a photo to appear with all over motion blur?

Yes, I make sure I'm on vc mode, and auto not manual AF. I bump up my shutter speed, but when this has happened I have turned the camera off & back on & it works again ( once I had to do that twice.)
Oh and custom function 3 is set to 0. When this has happened the camera behaves as if it has achieved focus, I get the beep & red light blinks on my center AF point ( have it set to use that point as I like to shoot birds in flight, and other wildlife). The reason I noticed the problem was that I was testing out the new 200 mm 2.8, shooting a stationary object ( a birdhouse on a tree) ...a lot of times I'm too intent on snapping away at little finches etc, to review all my pics as I shoot them.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements