Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D vs. Rebel Ti5

AlN
Apprentice

Any advantage of one over the other? 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Skirball wrote:

And lastly, don't get a T5i if you get a Rebel, get the T4i and save yourself some cash.  There are no functional differences, just cosmetics.

That may be difficult to do.  Canon pulled the T4i from marketing (likely because, as you've pointed out, there's nearly no difference so it'd be hard to justify manufacturing and marketing both.)

It may be possible to find a merchant who still just happens to have T4i bodies that never sold, but I've read accounts of folks on other forums who claim they're _very_ difficult to find at any authorized dealer still available as 'new'.  

This wasn't the case with the T3i (which is still marketed.)  But there's a big difference between a T3i and a T5i.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

Looks like they're still on Amazon, but the price went up a little bit.  Guess the dealers figured they could bump the price now that Canon pulled it.

However, it looks like they have them instock at Canon refurbished.  $575 for the kit, $511 body only.  Page two:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras#

@TCampbell wrote:
But there's a big difference between a T3i and a T5i.

I don’t know about that.  Myself, I’d prefer the 9 cross points and extra fps of the T5i, but it's not a huge difference.  For video there’s still a lot of love for the T3i which has the 3x crop and good video (for its class).  And according to the test charts the T3i technically does better at high ISO and has a larger dynamic range.  I don’t think the difference is perceivable in the real world, but I’d have a hard time saying that the T5i is significantly better.

6 REPLIES 6

diverhank
Authority

See for yourself via one of these comparisons via the internet.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos60d&products=canon_eos700d

To me, the main (not all)  pluses for the T5i is the Digic5 vs. Digic4, touchscreen.  The main pluses for the 60D is the larger size (personal preference), better weather sealing, better viewfinder (most important for me), longer battery life and 1/8000 shutter instead of 1/4000 (you would appreciate this if you use fast lenses like f/1.4 or f/1.8 for DOF in bright conditions).  

BTW, I personally dislike the red Rebel logo...don't know why I just can't stand it. Just for this reason I'd go for the 60D...Well I bought the 50D as my first DSLR for this reason alone.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

In addition to diverhank's points, the 60D has a few more advantages:

1)  It has a top LCD screen with several buttons to instantly access commonly changed settings.

2)  It has TWO wheels/dials on the body.  In addition to the main dial on the top-front (near the shutter button) which all DSLRs have, it has a 2nd large dial on back.  These are arranged so the front dial can easily be controlled with your index finger and the rear-dial can easily be controlled by your thumb.  You can do this while looking through the camera and no need to pull your eye away from the viewfinder.  This is a feature only found in mid-range and pro bodies.  Entry bodies don't have a 2nd dial.  

If you shoot in manual mode having that dial layout is a huge advantage.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I'll admit that now that I have two dial I miss the second when I pick up my old Rebel, but I never missed it when I didn't have it.  You can shoot manual just fine without it, you just learn different movements.

If you have the cash and the "upgrades" for the 60D are something you think you'd like, then go for it.  But there's nothing fundamentally better about it, IMHO.  The image quality will be very similar.  Rebels get a bad rap because they're the entry level camera, but they are pefectly capable of professional level photography with some decent glass and the right skill set.

And lastly, don't get a T5i if you get a Rebel, get the T4i and save yourself some cash.  There are no functional differences, just cosmetics.

@Skirball wrote:

That may be difficult to do.  Canon pulled the T4i from marketing (likely because, as you've pointed out, there's nearly no difference so it'd be hard to justify manufacturing and marketing both.)

It may be possible to find a merchant who still just happens to have T4i bodies that never sold, but I've read accounts of folks on other forums who claim they're _very_ difficult to find at any authorized dealer still available as 'new'.  

This wasn't the case with the T3i (which is still marketed.)  But there's a big difference between a T3i and a T5i.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Looks like they're still on Amazon, but the price went up a little bit.  Guess the dealers figured they could bump the price now that Canon pulled it.

However, it looks like they have them instock at Canon refurbished.  $575 for the kit, $511 body only.  Page two:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras#

@TCampbell wrote:
But there's a big difference between a T3i and a T5i.

I don’t know about that.  Myself, I’d prefer the 9 cross points and extra fps of the T5i, but it's not a huge difference.  For video there’s still a lot of love for the T3i which has the 3x crop and good video (for its class).  And according to the test charts the T3i technically does better at high ISO and has a larger dynamic range.  I don’t think the difference is perceivable in the real world, but I’d have a hard time saying that the T5i is significantly better.

Announcements