cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D set button behaves like scroll dial going right

sunland2100
Apprentice

I brought my 60D to a water park, and got some moisture on it. Then I found the set button doesn't work proporly. Pressing the Set button make the selection going right, just like the scroll dial. so far other function seems ok. How to fix this? it is wierd that only one button got problem.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Stop using it, remove battery and leave in the sun or place it near the air flow of a dehumidifier to try and dry out the moisture. Wait a day or so. Hopefully there is no permanent damage. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The reason I think this is strange is because the 60D is a weather-sealed body.  The lens you were using may not have been weather sealed, and it's possible for water to get in through the front of the body if you don't use a weather sealed lens, but the  "set" button is on the back of the camera.

When I do astro-imaging with my 60Da at night, there's often a lot of dew and sometimes my 60Da is positively soaked with dew by the end of an imaging session.  But since it's a weather-sealed body, it's never been a problem.

Surrounding the "set" button is the 8-way navigator (a donut-shaped disk that can be used to scroll in any direction).  Press around that to make sure the disk is working and that something isn't jamming it.  Surrounding that disk is the rear dial (which doesn't press in, but it should rotate freely with click-stops  as it rotates.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

sunland2100
Apprentice
Thank Jrhoffman75 and TCampbell for answering my question.

I already used it several times before I found this issue and it has been several weeks. I guess it is already permanent 😞

The navigator and the rear dial work well. So my situation is I have 3 ways to make the selection go to the right direction: by press navigator on the right, rotate the rear dial clockwise, or press the SET button. But I just can't make any selection because no real SET button!

Is there any way to fix this ? How much will it cost to fix this in Canon service center?

Thanks!

Have you tried (or are you even able to try) doing a "Clear All Camera Settings" and "Clear All Custom Functions" in the menu?

If those don't resolve this, then it looks like a phone call to Canon support is in order.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

sunland2100
Apprentice
I tried it but couldn't make it because I can't make that selection without the real SET button
Announcements