cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D IR sensor?

Christimm14
Apprentice

My 60d doesn't take picture with my infrared remote anymore. Worked just fine for two photo shoots a month ago and now it won't work at all. I purchased a new battery for the remote thinking that was the issue and still nothing. I then bought a new remote and still nothing. I have the camera set on the timer/remote setting just like I did before but it doesn't event flinch when I push the button on the remote. Any ideas?

20 REPLIES 20

@lowrider wrote:

Thanks for the responses.  

I have tried tried to clean the sensor on the hand grip, but there's no difference. 

Neither of the two remotes I have work (one of which is brand new), and both have been tried with new batteries. 

I am at a loss. 

Did you see Tim's suggestion?  Check the shooting mode of the camera.  It must be in timer mode.  By requiring that the camera be in timer mode, which is seldom for the average user, the shutter will not be triggered by a stray IR signal.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi

try reset in the menu :

Clear all camera settings

Clear all custom Funct. (C.fn)

Hello, Thanks again for the message and suggestions. I have now cleared all the settings, both in the 'all camera settings', and the 'camera user settings'. Still no response from either of the remote controls 😞 

@lowrider wrote:

Hello, Thanks again for the message and suggestions. I have now cleared all the settings, both in the 'all camera settings', and the 'camera user settings'. Still no response from either of the remote controls 😞 

It seems like the camera's sensor has failed.  I would contact Canon Support, and see what they say about it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

If you need the wireless remote feature, you may order one online for as low as US$15. Otherwise, expect to pay over $200 to have it repaired by Canon.

Has this issue been resolved. My IR stopped working. I have used IR for on my 60D for many years so I know how to use it and what camera setting to use. Worked one day and stopped working the next.

To prove that the remote is sending a signal point at your phone camera or almost any digital camera and press a button on the remote control, it will need to be very close and preferably in a darkened room. A digital camera can see the infra red light and you will be able see it flash dimly.

I use my remote at night when taking photos of the moon so it is very dark when I use it.

I have the remote 3 to 6 inches from the sensor.

I don't think you understood my last post, the operation I described will enable you to see if there is any IR light coming out of the remote control. If there is then you know the remote control is working and the fault must be in the camera. I was not talking about the conditions when you use the remote control to operate the camera.

Announcements