cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D IR sensor?

Christimm14
Apprentice

My 60d doesn't take picture with my infrared remote anymore. Worked just fine for two photo shoots a month ago and now it won't work at all. I purchased a new battery for the remote thinking that was the issue and still nothing. I then bought a new remote and still nothing. I have the camera set on the timer/remote setting just like I did before but it doesn't event flinch when I push the button on the remote. Any ideas?

20 REPLIES 20

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The IR remote is always disabled unless you put the camera into one of the timer modes.  There's a 2-second delay mode and a 10-second delay mode -- the IR sensor is only enabled when in one of those two modes.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Christimm14
Apprentice
I've tried it on both the 2 sec and 10 sec modes and it doesn't work anymore. It did the last time I used the remote but for some reason it doesn't anymore. So I think there is something wrong with the IR sensor but not sure how to fix it.

The remote has a thin "coin" battery.  I think it may be a CR2032.  It's suspect it may be more likely that you have a dead battery than a bad camera is sensor.   Have you checked the battery?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Christimm14
Apprentice
Yep, replaced the battery and replaced the whole remote with a new one. Camera doesn't connect the IR.

@Christimm14 wrote:
Yep, replaced the battery and replaced the whole remote with a new one. Camera doesn't connect the IR.

Have you tried it in a cold, dark room? It's a bit of a stretch, but conceivably ambient IR radiation could be overwhelming the signal from the remote, rendering it undetectable.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

lowrider
Apprentice

Hello all

I too have an issue with my Canon 60d and my IR Canon remote.

Mine used to work perfectly, and then suddenly it stopped firing remotely. I've changed the batteries, and checked all the settings are correct.

I have even bought a new remote control, which has had no impact on the function. It still doesn't work. 

Is it likely the infrared receiver on the hand grip could have developed a fault? 

Does this need sending to Canon to be repaired, and if so what should I expect to pay? 

My camera was purchased on 11 June 2013, which if it has failed is wuite disappointing. 

Thanks

Have you tried a simple cleaing, yet?  Clean the handgrip sensor.  Clean the surface of the transmitter, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Keep in mind that the IR sensor is only active in certain drive modes.  Those modes have a symbol of (a cone of concentric arcs) to indicate that the IR sensor is available in that mode.  The IR sensor is not enabled during normal single-shot or even burst mode (the timer modes typically enable it.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

lowrider
Apprentice

Thanks for the responses.  

I have tried tried to clean the sensor on the hand grip, but there's no difference. 

Neither of the two remotes I have work (one of which is brand new), and both have been tried with new batteries. 

I am at a loss. 

Announcements