cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5dMark III - locking up- won't take pictures when using remote shutter w/3-pin connection

darkroomdove
Apprentice

Hello,

I just reset my Canon5D Mark III and cleared all settings.

When I insert the Vello wireless remote shutter w/3-pin connection in the camera port, it will instantly activate the shutter, but the entire camera freezes up afterwards - none of the controls, menu, or anything works unless I remove the connection.

Any idea what's wrong?

I have used this remote many times, but the camera was doing the other day (without me using this remote shutter), and wouldn't work unless I removed the battery. I ended up formatting my memory card and the camera worked normally. Today, the issue only happens when I try to use the wireless remote shutter.

Would love it if there's just something wrong with the wireless remote, rather than my camera!

Thanks for your help/time.

1 REPLY 1

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

@darkroomdove wrote:

Hello,

I just reset my Canon5D Mark III and cleared all settings.

When I insert the Vello wireless remote shutter w/3-pin connection in the camera port, it will instantly activate the shutter, but the entire camera freezes up afterwards - none of the controls, menu, or anything works unless I remove the connection.

Any idea what's wrong?

If your remote has a "lock" switch, make sure the lock isn't set (the "lock" forces the shutter button switch to remain closed (i.e. "pressed").  

If the lock switch isn't locked, then there may be a short in your wired remote.  

The 3-pin connection is rather simple.  One side of the plug has a groove in it.  If you hold the remote plug so that the groove is on the right, then there are two pins at the top and one at the bottom.

The bottom pin is the ground.

The top-right pin indicates a half-press of the shutter button (e.g. causes the camera to focus or meter the shot depending on what you've configured your camera to do when you half-press the shutter.)

The top-left pin indicates a full-press of the shutter (takes the shot or holds the shutter open if the camera is in "bulb" mode.)

If the mere act of connecting the wired release causes the shutter to activate AND the "lock" switch on the shutter isn't locked then you likely have something shorting out the connection between the full-press pin and the ground pin.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements