cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5d mk2 all displays dead apart from LCD backlight

Retrobeen
Apprentice

Hi

Was using the camera fine, playing with my 580Ex flash settings and the camera seemed to shut down. Turned off, removed battery and tried again. The LCD screen was on but had lines across but then got slightly lighter and I could just make out the menu to do a reset. Didn't help. The top LCD is dead along with all lights in the viewfinder. The red light by the wheel flashes when I turn off and back on. The camera fires if I take a shot. Seems all displays have shut down.

The lcd screen seems to have a backlight but is grey with lines across. 

Any ideas or anybody else had this?

thanks. 

2 REPLIES 2

@Retrobeen wrote:

Hi

Was using the camera fine, playing with my 580Ex flash settings and the camera seemed to shut down. Turned off, removed battery and tried again. The LCD screen was on but had lines across but then got slightly lighter and I could just make out the menu to do a reset. Didn't help. The top LCD is dead along with all lights in the viewfinder. The red light by the wheel flashes when I turn off and back on. The camera fires if I take a shot. Seems all displays have shut down.

The lcd screen seems to have a backlight but is grey with lines across. 

Any ideas or anybody else had this?

thanks. 

I'm afraid my guess would be a component failure on the processor board.

The Mark III is a pretty good buy these days. The last time I looked, B&H still had some.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Any ideas or anybody else had this?"

I think it is done, also.  Call Canon and see if they even service the Mk II any longer. I don't think they do but perhaps.

Whatever you liked about the Mk II, you will love on the 5D MkIII.  Check one out.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements