cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5d mk iv with 70-200

Lfourn15
Contributor
I have a 5d mk iv and a 70-200 lens. When I try to take a photo, the shutter won't work and the lens will not focus. It basically won't do anything. It only happens sometimes. If I take the lens off and put it back on, it will usually work again. Has anyone else had this issue?
14 REPLIES 14

@Lfourn15 wrote:
I have a 5d mk iv and a 70-200 lens. When I try to take a photo, the shutter won't work and the lens will not focus. It basically won't do anything. It only happens sometimes. If I take the lens off and put it back on, it will usually work again. Has anyone else had this issue?

A wild (but not entirely implausible) guess would be that you're too close to the subject. Note that the 70-200 has two ranges, with a switch to choose between them. If you're too close, the lens can't focus, and the shutter won't fire.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Lfourn15
Contributor
Thank you, I will keep this in mind. I have tried moving further away from the subject, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Sounds like something is bad.  Try a different lens.  Is the 70-200mm a Canon lens?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Lfourn15
Contributor
My 24-70 works with no issues. The 70-200 is a canon lens.

If the 70-200 does not work, but a 24-70mm does, then it sounds like your 70-200mm needs service.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have a 5d mk iv and a 70-200 lens."

It sounds like you have a new 5D Mk IV.  But you didn't say if the 70-200mm is new?  Where did it come from?  Was it an old lens from a previous camera?  If it was also a new purchase send it to Canon under warranty.  Don't mess with it.

You tried you other lens a 24-70mm and it worked, right?  Did you try the 70-200mm on a different camera?  You need to!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Lfourn15
Contributor
I do have a new 5d mk IV. The 70-200 is about a year old. I bought them both new. I am having issues with the shutter using other lenses now also.
Someone mentioned a dof button that I could be triggering which locks the shutter. I use bbf, and I'm not sure if I'm hitting something without realizing it. It seems to be happening sporadically. If I turn the camera off and back on, or take the battery out, it seems to reset itself.

"If I turn the camera off and back on, or take the battery out, it seems to reset itself."

That part doesn't sound good.  I would call Canon support.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Lfourn15 wrote:
I do have a new 5d mk IV. The 70-200 is about a year old. I bought them both new. I am having issues with the shutter using other lenses now also.
Someone mentioned a dof button that I could be triggering which locks the shutter. I use bbf, and I'm not sure if I'm hitting something without realizing it. It seems to be happening sporadically. If I turn the camera off and back on, or take the battery out, it seems to reset itself.

Hmm.  Having BBF enabled changes things.  Before you contact Canon, have you tried to take pictures in Green [A] mode?

You could be having an issue with BBF. Check your button programming.  Using the Green [A] mode should disable any custom button programming.  You may not have a button actually programmed to initiate AF.

Announcements