cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5d mk iii Problem SOS!

alexgibbo10
Contributor

Hey guys,  

ive got a few issues going on with my mk iii at the moment and just simply cannot figure out what is going on!  So without a lens connected i can access all setting and buttons with no problems, as soon as i connect one of my lenses i can only see the screen and access settings on the auto shoot mode, when on AV, TV, Manuel etc the screen is just blank and it wont even fire!  So strange! it wont even change over to video mode with a lens attached. The menu, q button and info dont work either!  They only work on the auto setting

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?  Or have any ideas on what i should do or if ive accidently switched a setting off or somthing??

SOS !  Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13

alexgibbo10
Contributor
Thanks for all the help guys, I've done a deep reset and reinstalled new firmware. Still no fix in the problem so she's off to get fixed !! I'll let you know what the problem was when I find out just incase it ever happens to anyone else or if your just as interested as I am !
Thanks agian!!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Still, "Blaming the firmware for malfunctions in a camera has a low likelihood of being the issue."
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'm guessing this problem was solved long ago. However I have managed to replicate it in my 5D Mk III twice this week, when suddenly the camera has refused to operate live view and any of the buttons including menu in any mode other than the A+ mode.

The solution seems to be to go into A+ mode and press the menu and Q button simultaneously. If this does not work go back to Manual mode and press menu and Q simultaneously. I've found this magically reinstates the menu and all button functions. If the menu comes back on but the buttons don't work then go to the spanner menu in the menu (not available in A+ mode but is in any other) and select factory reset under menu 4. You'll have to reinput any special settings you had but the camera should then be fully functioning. I needed to do this last step the first time it happened, but today pressing Menu and Q simultaneously was enough to restore all function....

Good luck!

alexgibbo10
Contributor
Hi there ! Yes this problem was solved a few months ago, a lot of this I had already tried as I ready about it on another forum. It did not work. The problem was a failed drive inside the camera. It had to get fully rebuilt which cost around $800 but now it’s basically a brand new camera.
Announcements