cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5d mk iii Problem SOS!

alexgibbo10
Contributor

Hey guys,  

ive got a few issues going on with my mk iii at the moment and just simply cannot figure out what is going on!  So without a lens connected i can access all setting and buttons with no problems, as soon as i connect one of my lenses i can only see the screen and access settings on the auto shoot mode, when on AV, TV, Manuel etc the screen is just blank and it wont even fire!  So strange! it wont even change over to video mode with a lens attached. The menu, q button and info dont work either!  They only work on the auto setting

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?  Or have any ideas on what i should do or if ive accidently switched a setting off or somthing??

SOS !  Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@alexgibbo10 wrote:

Hey guys,  

ive got a few issues going on with my mk iii at the moment and just simply cannot figure out what is going on!  So without a lens connected i can access all setting and buttons with no problems, as soon as i connect one of my lenses i can only see the screen and access settings on the auto shoot mode, when on AV, TV, Manuel etc the screen is just blank and it wont even fire!  So strange! it wont even change over to video mode with a lens attached. The menu, q button and info dont work either!  They only work on the auto setting

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?  Or have any ideas on what i should do or if ive accidently switched a setting off or somthing??

SOS !  Thanks!

It won't change to video mode?  My initial thought had been that it was in video mode, but the mode switch could also be damaged.  Sounds like you need to contact Canon Support.  Meanwhile, try resetting the camera and a new memory card.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

No it wont!  Ive tried resetting it and everything  still nothing. Ill try a new memory card and see if that works. Otherwise yes i think ill get canon to have a look!  Thanks for the help!

Just a suggestion here, but try a deep reset. Pull the battery and card, then go make a cup of coffee. Give the camera a few minutes to discharge every capacitor and replace the battery. If that works then great. If it didn't, well, coffee is good any time.

I don't know if changing the card will do anything, but if you have a spare card, it won't hurt to change it.

You should also check the firmware is up to date and flash it if necessary.  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-5d-mark-iii?subta...

Software issues are cheaper to fix than hardware issues.  Good luck.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First off, it isn't the firmware so don't mess with it especially on a malfunctioning camera.  You can make the matter much worse.

Second removing the battery on a 5D Mk III will not reset it no matter how much coffee you drink.  The 5d3 has a keep alive button battery.  It has to be removed also for a hard reset.  Remove both batteries, the big main one and the small button battery.  Wait for a few minutes, 10 is enough and replace them.  If you have to reset the time and date, then the 5d3 did indeed do a hard reset.  If you didn't need to reset the T&D, it didn't.

Always good to try a brand new CF card.  Get a good one not a cheap knock off.  These suggestions failing, it is time to call Canon!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

First off, it isn't the firmware so don't mess with it especially on a malfunctioning camera.  You can make the matter much worse.

This seems to be counter intuitive to my experience; although that experience is mostly with other computer stuff. I've never flashed a camera. (Canon does make good stuff)

So, if I may ask, why would resetting the firmware (or even updating) make matters worse? If my thinking on this is wrong, I would prefer to find out the correct way before I make that mistake. 

Thanks

If there is a glitch during the installation of new firmware, the camera can become totally inoperative.  And this is true of a perfectly functioning camera.  Let alone the risk of doing it on one that isn't working as it should.

If it does fail when installing the new firmware the camera must be sent to Canon for repair.  Blaming the firmware for malfunctions in a camera has a low likelihood of being the issue.

In the OP's case I doubt strongly it is a firmware problem.  If the suggested hard reset doesn't correct the camera, he needs to send it to Canon service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

If there is a glitch during the installation of new firmware, the camera can become totally inoperative.  And this is true of a perfectly functioning camera.  Let alone the risk of doing it on one that isn't working as it should.

If it does fail when installing the new firmware the camera must be sent to Canon for repair.  Blaming the firmware for malfunctions in a camera has a low likelihood of being the issue.

In the OP's case I doubt strongly it is a firmware problem.  If the suggested hard reset doesn't correct the camera, he needs to send it to Canon service.

If the OP is apt to have to send the camera in anyway, it would seen that the risk involved in doing a firmware update is low. OTOH, if he's resolved to send it in anyway, he can have Canon do the update. I doubt that it would add to the repair cost.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

alexgibbo10
Contributor
Ok no problem thanks guys! The firmware is up to date but I have to tried the deep reset and might grab a good new card as well and try that !
So removing the main battery is fine but where abouts is this smaller battery button to perform the deep reset ? If this doesn't work then yeh might have to send her on a little holiday to canon haha ! Thanks agian!

Announcements