cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5d mark 3

Dwpistole
Apprentice
When I shoot with my 5d mark 3 at any length of time, for example I shoot at 30 sec, it takes another 30 sec longer for the shot to be view. Never had this problem with my 7d
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

hsbn
Whiz
You have the long exposure noise reduction on. If it is on, the camera will take a 2nd frame as long as the first one to subtract for the noise.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

View solution in original post

amfoto1
Authority

That's correct.... go into the menu and disable long exposure noise reduction and it will stop doing that.

Yes, your 7D could have done that, too, had you enabled this feature.

Just a side note... I think when you have long exposure NR on, if you happen to cancel the second "blank" shot (such as by turning off the camera at the power switch) before the camera finishes making it, both images will be discarded. I.e, your original long exposure and the interrupted "blank" (shutter closed) shot will both be gone.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

hsbn
Whiz
You have the long exposure noise reduction on. If it is on, the camera will take a 2nd frame as long as the first one to subtract for the noise.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

amfoto1
Authority

That's correct.... go into the menu and disable long exposure noise reduction and it will stop doing that.

Yes, your 7D could have done that, too, had you enabled this feature.

Just a side note... I think when you have long exposure NR on, if you happen to cancel the second "blank" shot (such as by turning off the camera at the power switch) before the camera finishes making it, both images will be discarded. I.e, your original long exposure and the interrupted "blank" (shutter closed) shot will both be gone.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Announcements