cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5Dsr yields 60mb+ files in FULL, 1.3 crop, and 1.6 crop. Too big for Aperture 3.

lmhunter
Apprentice

It would seem reasonable that when one chooses to create a cropped image on the 5Drs,  the smaller scene should still fill up the viewfinder to produce a good view of the subject.   It would also be expected that a cropped image would result in a smaller file when downloaded.  500 60mb images will slow down processing and fill up camera cards and hard drives very quickly.  I want to save the FULL images for special subjects in ideal settings.

Also the crop factor should be displayed prominently in the viewfinder display and be easily changable.  I would like to be able to assign a button to rotate around the crop menus with a push of the button.

1 REPLY 1

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Are you saving these as RAW?

To use Aperture 3 with RAW files from your camera you must make sure that you have installed Apple Camera RAW Update 6.04 (or newer).  See:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203088

Also... apart from JPEG format, Aperture supports RAW format, but ONLY RAW format.  They do not support variants such as MRAW, SRAW, etc.  This is, and always has been true of Aperture (and most other programs too... it's not just Aperture.)

When you shoot RAW, the file saved generally represents "everything" the sensor could capture.  Any choices you set (white balance, sharpening, picture styles, etc.) are only noted in the meta-data but not actually applied to the image.  I suspect this is also true even of the crop-factors (I own a 5D III and do not own a 5Ds/5Dsr).

If you convert the images from RAW to some other lossy format such as TIFF then the images first have to be "de-bayered".  The camera uses a color-filter-array (aka 'CFA' and in the most popular CFA is the "Bayer Mask") in which the values stored in various photo-sites (each of which only have one single color assigned which will be either red or green or blue but never a combination) are compared to the color values of neighboring photosites to generate a "blended" color.  At this point the result is called a "pixel" (on the sensor it's called a "photo site" becuse pixels have all three colors and photo-sites are mono-color.)

This means to not lose data when converting from RAW to TIFF, your 50MP sensor loaded with 14-bit single-channel photosites has to be converted to a 50MP 16-bit TIFF in which each pixel has 3x 16-bit color channels.  This MASSIVELY increases the size of the image (the 60 MB RAW image files will likely grow to about 200 MB images (you might save a little for non-lossy compression.  Compression is allowed as long as it is not "lossy" compression.)

When you use a 50MP camera, remember... hard disks are CHEAP.  You can buy 1TB of storage for about $50 these days.

My images are not stored on my computer's internal storage... I use external storage specifically because image sizes are getting large enough that it's not practical to attempt to store every image you've ever captured on a computer's internal drive (not if you do much shooting.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements